Author Topic: Need some help!  (Read 798 times)

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need some help!
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »
Hey guys,

I recently installed a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 on my S&W 500 Mag (Revolver) and I've started noticing something interesting and I'm not quite sure what it is.  After shooting a cylinder or two I notice the cross hairs inside the scope appear to be turning inside the scope.  Instead of being straight up and down, they move 45 degrees looking more like an x than a +.  After letting the gun sit for a while and cool down, all appears normal.  As far as I can tell, the scope still shoots where I am it even though the cross hairs are a bit skewed.  Did I mess something up in the install?  Is it something to do with the temp of the scope?  I've seen this before on my 44 mag, (Leupold) though it takes a bit longer to get there, and that scope was installed by a gunsmith.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Glanceblamm

Re: Need some help!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:39:52 AM »
which way do that crosshair turn?...while I have never had that problem I am thinking that my Ruger with Ruger loads (.45 Colt) will torque the revolver to the right if the stout load is fired one handed which would possibly revolve the scope tube to the left? (no scope installed on this but am trying to come up with a theory on the prob)

I did install a Red Dot type on my .44 mag and had the tube move back in the rings by .040 on the first range session. I removed it and did a re-install with a hairdryer working well to soften the red loc-tite but still had that tube move by .015 two sessions latter. It seemed to stop moving after this but I did not trust it so I did a third installation and put a thin bead of the red locktite on the uppers n lowers of all four rings and all has been well for two years now.

In my case, the tube on the dot was 28mm which prevented me from replacing the factory rings after doing the math on 30mm or 1" sizes.

In your case, bet that you can replace those Bushnell rings with the likes of the Burris zee rings that have those inserts to make the grip on the tube much more uniform and much tighter with lesser tightening of the screws. Hope this helps.

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:01 AM »
The cross hairs appear to be moving to the left.  Though on my last outing (Saturday) it didn't happen on the 500 and I was firing some pretty stout loads, but I never really got the gun "hot".  The 44 on the other hand was pretty bad and it got worse the hotter the gun got.  After it cooled for 15 minutes everything was back to normal.  This makes me think it just may be a heat illusion or something of that nature.

I'm using 2 Weaver Sure Grip rings on a Weaver base.  I'd use three, but I can't get the last one to fit.  I don't think its the rings, they're on they're on there pretty good.  Not to the point of crushing the scope, but I don't think its going any were.  Base is torqued on pretty good and has some locktite on the screws, so its not going anywhere.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »
After letting the gun sit for a while and cool down, all appears normal

Sorry to say that I missed this on the first go around :-[ yours would be the first that I heard of this phenomonom.

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
Yeah that's the first time I've experienced it or seen it.  Sigh, seems to be just an PITA more than anything.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:07:18 AM »
This exact same thing happened to me 2 days ago mine was a simmons 8pt scope on my mini 14,when I notice it I removed from trhe rifle got ready to box it up,looked through the scope and the crosshairs were normal again.Its still going back though.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »
Get a Leupold and you won`t have that problem. The reason they cost more is because they are a better scope.

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »
The one its really bad on (the 44 Mag) is a Leupold.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:35:31 AM »
If you are haveing trouble with a Leupold scope send it back to them and they will fix it free and send it back to you. The only Leupold scope I ever had trouble with was a 24x target scope that was on a 16 lb. rifle and got dropped on the bell of the scope.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:43 AM »
must be a rash of bad bushnells. I had two 1.4x4.5 banners go bad within a week last month. One the turents locked up and the other had a lense inside come loose. Ive allways had good luck with bushnells in the past but im beginning to wonder. Good thing is that if you send it back they will send you a new scope for free. Dont get a return athourization though as they will then want 10 bucks to return ship it. Just box it up and send it with a letter.
blue lives matter

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »
If you are haveing trouble with a Leupold scope send it back to them and they will fix it free and send it back to you. The only Leupold scope I ever had trouble with was a 24x target scope that was on a 16 lb. rifle and got dropped on the bell of the scope.

Well that's it, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I think it maybe a heat illusion or something along those lines.  Maybe the rings not tight enough, though I find it hard to believe they aren't.