Author Topic: Did anyone else apply for the Elk Reduction Hunt..........  (Read 623 times)

Offline Otony

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Did anyone else apply for the Elk Reduction Hunt..........
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »
......in Theodore Roosevelt National Park near Medora, North Dakota? My shooting partner and I put in for every week of November, December, and January. Well, every week that is except for Thanksgiving and the week before and after Christmas. I do have a wife and kids after all!  ::)

If selected we will be working for the Park Service for a minimum of five days, shooting (not really hunting) cow elk as directed by a Park employee. The location of the elk is known via radio collars, but while that means they can find 'em easily enough, we still have to get to 'em. We have been told that hiking in as far as 10 miles round trip may be necessary, which doesn't seem too bad except for possible weather issues.

We were notified that if chosen we should expect to shoot between 10 and 20 elk each during our five day stint. Hopefully with success, but the shooters will be going out in five man teams counting the Park supervisor. So there will be intentional back up in the case of missed or botched shots, a very good thing.

Sounds exciting, if somewhat sad after a fashion. All the elk meat will go to Indian tribes, with each shooter receiving a cow for their efforts. I should know in about two weeks if we were chosen. If there were not enough applicants, we may be chosen for additional week as well, again with a cow elk in payment! 
Otony
"Meglio vivere un giorno da leone che cento anni da pecora"

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Did anyone else apply for the Elk Reduction Hunt..........
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:34:11 AM »
Can I assume this is a resident only hunt?
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Otony

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
No, any U.S. citizen who wished could sign up so long as you are legally able to own a firearm AND more importantly, able to demonstrate proficiency with your rifle. Also, you should be in good health. There is a proviso that you must be able to make a 10 mile hike in the woods, in what could prove to be pretty cold weather. Nothing insurpassable but certainly not insignificant. Park employees have the right to refuse to allow paticipation by anyone who they feel may be at physical risk, or who cannot pass the shooting test. More importantly, if you cannot follow instructions or act in a reckless manner you will be summarily dismissed from the program.

In other words, they don't want any out of shape yahoos suffering cardiac arrest or shooting bulls, or worse, each other.

There are details at the home page for the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
Otony
"Meglio vivere un giorno da leone che cento anni da pecora"

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 03:08:17 AM »
Does North Dakota or NPS have something against HUNTING?

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
Does North Dakota or NPS have something against HUNTING?

I think its one of those stupid political things where "OMG you cant hunt there" so instead,they get over populated and they have to do something like that rather than just issuing hunting permits and letting people PAY for the privilege of taking care of the problem.

How about instead of giving the meat to Indian tribes,charge a nice fat fee for the permits and give THAT to the Indian tribes as well as giving them free first grab at any permits they want. I tend to think that while Elk meat would be much appreciated by them,an equivalent amount of hard cash and the ability to get their own hunting permits might be even more welcome. (Of course,I would also hope that before someone made that change they actually ASKED the Indian tribes,becuase Id hate to screw them over once again) As for out of shape yahoos killing the wrong animals,that seems to be a minimal risk. After all,hunters hunt safely all over the country and there are things in place to weed out the bad ones such as hunter education,and checkpoints and severe fines for poachers. Certainly within the confines of actually having to run it that way rather than just issuing hunting permits,it seems like its properly run from what you say. The while thing seems to be OK,but just OK. Seems that those park employees that have to go out with you are rather expensive. I guess its kind of like a guided hunt with GPS tracking.  :o