Author Topic: What's the best case prep center?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
What's the best case prep center?
« on: September 04, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
Looking to speed up brass prep and make life easier - is the RCBS case prep center the berries for around $100, or does a guy have to spend more?  Just looking for the primer pocket cleaner, chamfer and de-burr.  Thanks!

Offline 375supermag

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What's the best case prep center?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
I have been using the RCBS unit for years. It does everything it is advertised to do quite well.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:09:48 AM »
+1 on the RCBS

I usually wait till I've got 300 or more rifle cases and then do the prep thing all at once.  Here's the drill.

1.  Resize and deprime all
2.  Trim all w an RCBS trim die
3.  Use all stations on the RCBS Case Prep ...clean pocket, inside debur, outside debur,
4.  tumble and store when finished
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline benny123

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:15:50 AM »
The RCBS model has sped time up. Cleaning primer pockets after brass has been tumbled. Usually load it with two primer brushes and a larger diameter bore fresh for a pass inside the case. Definitely saves time once you develop a system.

Btw, Doug, only part of your thread came through...

...take that back, I see your steps.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:07:40 PM »
I'm happy enough with my RCBS trim mate but its hard to clean off and I don't like the angle on the case chamfer tool.  That Hornady shouldn't collect dirt and junk - should just fall down onto a catcher. And It looks like it has a chamfer tool I'd like. In fact I've tried to find out if the Hornady chamfer tool would work on the RCBS. The Hornady seems bigger and more expensive but it does more things. I'd have to be a much higher volume reloader to justify the Hornady now.... but if I didn't have the RCBS I'd take a very close look at the Hornady.

My issue with the cleaning is that the primer pocket cleaner station on the RCBS will accumulate quite a pile of debris - with the current concerns for lead etc, I try to be careful and clear off that debris - it would be nicer to just have it fall into a collector tray.

Oh and I much prefer the Hornady primer pocket cleaner tools and have installed them on my RCBS already. No wires to get bent or fray and cause issues. Just be careful not to push the case down too hard on the sharp teeth of the Hornady tool.

my $.02

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:44:24 AM »
The RCBS with a modified Lee trimmer for about a third the price of the Hornady system.

Tim

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/RCBS%20Trim%20Mate/?action=view&current=HPIM0179.mp4

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
Yes it does a fine job on those tasks if that's all you're looking for.

As soon as I can see my way clear tho I'll have the new Hornady tool that does all it does and trims cases all in the same foot print as the RCBS tool. Now I have the RCBS power trimmer and huge thing takes half my reloading bench.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!