Author Topic: I just bought a cannon and could use some advice  (Read 795 times)

Offline NoZombies

• Trade Count: (1)
I just bought a cannon and could use some advice
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:29:25 PM »
I was at the gun show today and stumbled upon a .45 caliber (so marked) cannon, I know little about it, but I'd really like to go and shoot it. The carriage seems kinda light, but the barrel is pretty well made from what I can tell.

I've got a ball mold that should work pretty well, should I patch the ball? I have no idea where to start with a powder load, fuse etc.

The barrel is rifled, if that makes a difference

Pictures:

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: I just bought a cannon and could use some advice
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:54:26 PM »
 That's the very cannon some of us (including myself) started out with. I think they were made by Jukar(?). CVA imported them as kits back in the 70's & 80's.

I used a .440 ball in mine. You can patch it, but I wouldn't. A patch will increase pressure and recoil, and these light little things can do as much damage to your shins when they fly back as the ball does to the target. Best to restrain them somehow unless you're just shooting light blanks.

For a charge, I'd start out with ~20 grains of FG or FFG (black powder, not a substitute if you can get the real stuff). 3mm visco 'cannon' fuse will work well.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 04:12:59 AM »
you can always use a breech rope if recoil is an issue.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 04:37:43 AM »
Just don't let it fall off your shooting platform and flip over...the guys on here will tease you about it until you shoot it again to prove it doesn't do a somersault when it's fired, eh DD? ;D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:59:48 AM »
So now you guys are scaring people off making them think these cannons will flip over when shot.

With a proper load it will not flip. 

Offline NoZombies

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:14:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, and no worries, I'm hard to scare off.  ;)

I'll start with 20 grains, I've got FFG Goex that I can use, and some old Elephant brand someplace, I think that can's FG

I'll use a rope to control the recoil I think, seems like a good idea, and had kinda thought about that with the light carriage anyways.

I might even get to shoot it this week, we'll see.

Thanks again

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:52:43 AM »
Welcome aboard, NoZombies! I've also got one of these small rifled Spanish cannons, and I'll back up what Victor said; if you're firing a ball (patch or no patch) use some kind of breeching rope to restrain it because it's going to become rather animated upon firing.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:44:02 AM »
So now you guys are scaring people off making them think these cannons will flip over when shot.

With a proper load it will not flip. 
All in good fun.  Besides, the part to take away is not the flipping, but the shooting it again!

Enjoy it NoZombies!  The powder you have should be fine.  As said, start with a light load and work your way up.  The cannon fuse will work fine, as will quickmatch, priming, or a number of other options.  I recommend a linstock to keep some distance between you and the gun, though on the little ones, if using cannon fuse (which is relatively slow burning), a long lighter will do in a pinch.  You can find all these things in the stickies at the top of the forum.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
These little cannons have been discussed here before, a long time ago. It took me awhile but I finally to find it.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,76233.0.html
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline NoZombies

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:56 AM »
Thanks for the input and info guys!

I've got a nasty flu bug right now, but hope to shoot it this week when I'm feeling better. I'll try to get some photos and post the results.