Author Topic: Rattling...need advice  (Read 743 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Rattling...need advice
« on: November 10, 2003, 11:18:10 AM »
I'm of the opinion that rattling will do more harm than good in most areas of the deep south. The buck to doe ratio is way off in most areas and you really need a good solid buck to doe ratio for fights to occur and thus for rattling sounds to be natural sounding to them. If you have more than five does per buck I'd not do it myself.

Grunting is another matter all together. I have a really old Primos grunt call that has given me a bunch of deer I'd not otherwise have killed without using it. This includes the largest racked buck I've ever shot and the first bow killed buck I shot. Lots of others also. I use it mostly after seeing a deer that appears isn't going to offer me a shot on its own. When I see or hear one I think won't offer a shot without some assistance I pull out that grunt call and give it a few blasts. In 15 or more years of use I've had maybe 3-4 take off running when it sounded. I've had some just ignore it like they didn't hear it. But the most common reaction is for them to move closer often giving me the shot I need.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline howie1968

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I agree w graybeard
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 12:28:31 PM »
never  had  much  luck  with  rattling  horns  or  grunt  tubes   except   for  the  grun   on  deer  that  seem  impossible
 but i did try  some  doe  yrine  used  as  a  cover  scent  and  wow  i  am  really  seeing  deer   ive  managed  to  fill  my  buck   tags     in  a  week  using  this  even  does  are  curious  with  this
     this  is  the  first  time  i  have  used  this  stuff   it  is   just  plain  doe  pee  and  not the  estrus
Hi  enjoy  hunting  guns    teaching  my  2  daughters  about  hunting  and  boxing

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
Rattling...need advice
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 03:04:15 PM »
I usually do two young buck grunts, rattle for about a minute, grunt again, rattle for another minute, then grunt twice.   I then wait about 5-10 minutes and use the can.  
I called in a spike and an 8 pointer a couple days ago doing this.  I wanted the 8 pointer to come closer but he never came beyond a thicket that i could only see horns sticking up.
I'm was hunting about 75 yards inside a swamp on the 8 pointers heavily used scrape line.  
Funny thing though, I got off stand about 11:00 to go and get something to eat, came back around 1:00 and the scrape had been dug up and had monster deer prints inside.  The deer also crapped beside my treestand at the bottom of the rungs. :(  :lol:

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Rattling...need advice
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 06:45:03 AM »
Why are you guys not taking lunch to the stand with you and eating it there? You are missing the best chances of the day by coming down and going back later. When I come down I go home.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Myk

Rattling...need advice
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 06:51:02 AM »
Shhhhh, they're driving the deer to those of us who stay on stand all day  :)  

I just love those bucks that come running through about lunch time.

Offline 1911crazy

Rattling...need advice
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 10:11:44 AM »
My very first experience rattling I was on top of a mountain top and the clouds were so low we were inside a cloud on the mountain top the temps were low and the frost/moisture stood up on the tree limbs like iron on a magnet.  I picked up two small branches of a maple tree and removed the bark while I was sitting there.  When I finished I started to rattle with them and in a short time I had something coming at me from the next ridge just above me then all of a sudden it turned and went away just out of my sight. I figured out it picked up my scent but it convinced me that rattling works even if its two maple branches!!!!!         BigBill