Author Topic: What 308 powder meters well in your Dillon 550B?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
What 308 powder meters well in your Dillon 550B?
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »
I need to start loading up some rounds for my 308.  I'm going to use this rifle for precise shooting and want to use a good powder for that.  I'm probably going to try and find something that closely copies the 168gr Federal gold medal match or Black Hills match 168gr. 

I'm reloading on a Dillon 550B and would like to be able to confidently crank out hundreds of rounds without worry of the powder charge being incorrect.

I've been having some good luck with Ramshot Tac metering well for my 223, but I haven't tried any in the 308 yet.  I know varget is usually good, but it doesn't always meter well for me and it's still hard to come by in my part of town.

Any recommendations?  I appreciate any friendly help.

Offline Catfish

Re: What 308 powder meters well in your Dillon 550B?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:19:39 PM »
Any ball powder will measure well.

Offline Ron Miller

• GBO Supporter
  • If it's not one thing it's another!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
What kind of weapon are you reloading for? barrel length, action?
Magnum Shooter, Army Vet, Ranger, Sniper, NRA Patron Member, Bridge Design Tech.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »
DPMS 308 semi auto with an 18" bull barrel.

Offline Ron Miller

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »
I load for my M1A NM, I shoot a 168 gr bullet in it but I shoot it a little hot. With IMR 3031 powder.
Magnum Shooter, Army Vet, Ranger, Sniper, NRA Patron Member, Bridge Design Tech.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:16:23 PM »
I'll add that to my list of powders to try in it.  I've used it before in a 30-30 and a 223 and had good results.  Thanks.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:45:18 AM »
H414 and H380 and ramshot big game or hunter will work real well.
blue lives matter

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:22:22 AM »
RL-15 works well in my 550 for my M1A.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »
IMR3031 willl not run well through a dilllon. Powders that work well through mine are h335, bl-c2 and win 748 are all that I have tried. All in all if I was going for accuracy I would be single staging my rounds. The best powder I have found (and its what the military uses for it's match rounds) is IMR4895. I found what my gun liked for velocitys and have loaded with other poders and litterally sat at the range all day and shot different powders at the the same velocitys side by side and 4895 keeps winning so it's my only choice now. Downfall it won't feed through a dillon worth a hill of beans.

Offline Ron Miller

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
Oh, here’s another question for ya teddy, what are you loading for hunting or competition?
I just had to go back to my log book and take a look at my 308 history I found 9 powders with at least that many bullets. My best was as I said.
That is what a good electric scale and trickler are for, so you can top them off.

That plus or minus .2 grain don't cut it with me.

loading 100 for comp. or 40 for hunting ain't no differant to me.

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »
earlier poster mentioned Ramshot hunter or big game powder for 308.  Ramshot load data calls for using their TAC or Big Game powders, not the Hunter.   But, all are ball powders and meter great in powder dispensers.  TAC suppose to be a very good powder for 308 reloading.  Also, Ramshot powders are less costly than IMR, Hodgdon and Alliant.   Example,  recently ordered some Hunter powder from Wideners, cost was $16.40 One lb container.....Hodgdon ball powders $18.50, higher for other rifle powder.....IMR over $19
This will be about same prices at other powder sellers.

Offline Ron Miller

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 05:32:39 PM »
Well you do get what you pay for, as they say. It took me a min. to look it up and I've tried that Ramshot and it didn't work for my weapon.

Offline Ron Miller

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »
The only way I’ve really found what works was to buy the powder, bullets and primers. Reloading is an art; you are shooting for the best for the weapon you are loading for, not just a good all around cartridge but the best you can get for that one weapon.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:29 AM »
granted hunter isnt listed as an ideal powder for 308s. Its burning rate is about between 4350 and 4831 and is a bit on the slow side for max velocitys unless your using heavy bullets. It will push 150s to 2500 to 2600 though and its very accurate in loads like that. I use it more in the 06 then in the 08 but when im loading up ammo for the grandkids 308 it works just great for slightly reduced low recoil loads. even 414 is a bit slow for the 308. to get max velocity you need to fill the case right to the top of the rim and using it on a progressive it can get a bit messy. h380 and ramshot big game are probably what i use most if im mass loading for the ars. As to getting what you paid for ive had some of my best luck with accuracy in the 308 06 and even the .223 with ramshot powders. Theres nothing cheap about the way there made. There every bit as good as anything dupont or alliant makes. As a matter of fact ive seen less lot to lot variations with ramshot powders then i have with any other.
blue lives matter

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 03:25:51 AM »
Oh, here’s another question for ya teddy, what are you loading for hunting or competition?
I just had to go back to my log book and take a look at my 308 history I found 9 powders with at least that many bullets. My best was as I said.
That is what a good electric scale and trickler are for, so you can top them off.
That plus or minus .2 grain don't cut it with me.
loading 100 for comp. or 40 for hunting ain't no differant to me.
Right now I'm not looking for a hunting load.  I don't formally compete, but I want to make sure I get the most accuracy out of my rifle.  I agree on the electric scale.  I also don't like the puls or minus .2gr.  When a powder doesn't meter right on the money I'll pull the case out of the Dillon at the powder stage and use a rcbs chargemaster combo to measure the powder.  It's still a little faster than a single stage at that point.  With my 30-06 I'm using IMR 4350 and have to use the rcbs chargemaster for the powder, but it's worth it since the load groups just under 1/2".  That 30-06 is a bolt gun and with this 308 I'm really hoping to get setup on a powder where I won't have to use the chargemaster because I'll be going through ammo faster being that it's an AR format.  I picked up some sierra 168gr matchkings last night so I'll have something to load up this weekend.