Author Topic: Hornady A Max bullets  (Read 576 times)

Offline MildBill

• Trade Count: (0)
Hornady A Max bullets
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:41 AM »
Question: I reloaded some 7mm Rem Mag with Hornady 162g AMAX bullets and they are grouping well (within an inch @100 yds). I was reading about the Hornady bullet line and it was noted that the AMAX should not be used for medium to heavy game. Does anybody know why or have any experience hunting with them? If I have to I'll go to the 162 SST.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Re: Hornady A Max bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:52 AM »
Thinner jacket. I would use the 162BTSP (interlock) or the newer 154 Interbond.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »
The A-Max will work well on whitetail deer size game and will work on bigger game at really long range, 600 to 1000 yards when your velocity drops off. They will open up like a SP bullet at those long ranges. They have thin jackets and will really come apart a higher velocity and closer ranges. But will put the smack on a broad side shot on a deer.

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »
I shot the 162 sst last year in my 7mm and it worked excellent at the range (best 100 yard 3 shot group was .63) and in the field. The A-max worked ok on deer and great on coyotes but with the thin jacket I wouldn't personally shoot anything bigger than whitetail deer with the A-max.
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline MildBill

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
Thanks to all who shared their thoughts and experiences. In evaluating all the replies I'm going to the SST's. I want to shoot to kill with confidence and have used the SST's in my 270 on the Ram in the picture "Mild Bill" sign on. Again your contributions aided me in making my decision.
Safe and happy hunting to all!
Mild Bill

Offline smong2000

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
I killed a 165lb 9 pt a few years back with an Amax in a .308.  The bullet put a tennis ball size hole in the bucks liver after shooting through a 3-4" beech tree at 35 yds.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it a reasonable speeds (2800fps or less) and still do.  It's extremely accurate for me.

Offline MildBill

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
smong2000- Thanks for the additional testimonial. I'm going to load some 162 SST's and see how they print in comparison to the 162 AMAX. If my gun digests the SST's as well as the AMAX's I'll use both.