Author Topic: Lube Dent Problems with Lyman Spray Lube?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Lube Dent Problems with Lyman Spray Lube?
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:59:30 AM »
I used to almost never have any problems with lube dents when I used to use the RCBS grease-type lube on a stamp pad.  However, since I started using Lyman's spray on lube I have been having frequent and relatively severe lube dent problems with my .223 and .30-06 cases.  The dents appear just below the shoulder and/or on the shoulder and occasionally on the case neck.  I am very careful not to apply to much spray lube and let the cases dry a bit in accordance with the instruction on the spray can.  Wiping off the case neck and shoulder area before running the case through the die helps but does not completely cure the problem.  Has anyone else experienced this problem with Lyman or other spray lubes?  Should I just go back to the stamp pad and the grease-type lube?

>:(

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Lube Dent Problems with Lyman Spray Lube?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:00:45 AM »
I have had these problems with spray lubes when spraying directly on the cases. So I sprayed the lube on a lube pad only, problems solved. One spray lengthwise down the pad, put ten cases on the sprayed area, roll the cases. Spray every other group of ten.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:18:16 AM »
Clean your dies then get you some Hornady One Shot spray lube. Spray the cases and let them set for a few minutes so the lube can dry before you try to size them. The Hornady One Shot spray is the best lube I have found. I have not used the Lyman lube. Read the can and see if it tells you to let the lube dry for a few minutes before use. Most of these lubes are a dry wax type lube needs to be dry before you size or you will get dents.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:34:50 AM »
I use the Hornaday spray lube for my pistol brass, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig. A light spray from about two feet away aimed from one side and slightly above. This puts lube on half the neck, which is enough, and a tad inside the neck which eases passage of the expander ball. I've not had a stuck case or a dent yet.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:22:49 AM »
DH

First thing I would do is clean the inside of your sizer die very will with some rubbing Alc. & a Q-tip or bore patches , and then make sure that the vent hole is not plugged .

Alot of what is seen as lube dents are in fact caused by air pockets trapped by lube sealing the case to the die wall and not letting the air be able to escape .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
Stimpy said just exactly what I was thinking before I got to his post.. The vent has got to be clear or you will get dents regardless of what type lube you are using.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
Clean your dies then get you some Hornady One Shot spray lube. Spray the cases and let them set for a few minutes so the lube can dry before you try to size them. The Hornady One Shot spray is the best lube I have found. I have not used the Lyman lube. Read the can and see if it tells you to let the lube dry for a few minutes before use. Most of these lubes are a dry wax type lube needs to be dry before you size or you will get dents.

This is the way to go. shot1 is correct. One Shot is good stuff.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
I use the std. lee case lube, but I've heard a lot of good things about Rooster Case Lube also.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »
Hornady unique for me.  I think its 100% lanolin, smells good.  Just put a dab on your fingers lube 10-20 cases.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline jphendren

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 06:25:07 AM »
I have the RCBS lube pad and lube. I've found that if I roll the cases on the pad per the directions i get the occasional shoulder dent, but if I put a little on my pointer finger and thumb, I can lube 3 to 5 cases with my fingers and rarely get any dents. It takes very little lube to size a case without it getting stuck, to much and you will get case dents.

Jared

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »
I used to get a dent once in a great while when I used the RCBS pad and roll on lube. I switched to spray on lube quite awhile ago and have never had a dent since I've been using it. I load mostly .223 and 22-250 but I have loaded a few 30-30 and 30-06 using spray lube with no dents. I did stick a .223 case one time with the spray. I think I didn't let the cases sit long enough before I started sizing. I have been giving the cases more time for the solvent to evaporate after spraying and have had no more problems.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 02:11:39 AM »
Im not a big fan of hornady one shot. I do use it on 223s and 308s occasionaly when i load progessively but still get an ocassional stuck case. I guess i cant see the big time savings as a guy still has to tumble them after sizing. What i come to do is use something like anyhydrous lanolin, imperial sizing wax or the lee sizing liquid and put my cases in a shoe box and rub a liberal ammount in my hands and then work my hands well through the cases in the box. Ive yet to have a stuck case using any of those three lubes. If your getting dents just take your fingers and wipe around the case neck and sholder before you put it in the press.
blue lives matter

Offline jphendren

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
" I guess i cant see the big time savings as a guy still has to tumble them after sizing."

I've found that if you take your sized cases and put them in a plastic tupperware bowl, and wash them in hot water with liquid dish soap, all of the lube comes right off, it only takes a few minutes.  Then rinse them thoroughly with clean water, and dry them with a blow dryer or in the oven.

Jared

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »
I use Hornady One Shot, in the quantities I load at a time of 20-50, I just wipe them off with a paper towel dampened with alcohol after I trim, chamfer and debur.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »
I use the RCBS stuff in the squeeze bottle on my fingers or Lyman spray . Both work good . I get dents when i get dirty dies . As far as getting lube off a damp cloth works great .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
I too have gotten dents when I switched over to Lyman spray.  Before, I used Hornady One Shot, and when I got the Lyman I sprayed the same amount.  And got dents.  I've come to the conclusion that a little of the Lyman goes a long way.  Once I greatly reduced the amount that I sprayed (maybe 1/2 of One Shot), no more dents.  Anyone that has ever got a case stuck should be careful, but a couple of short blasts is all it takes.  I just wipe mine with a dry rag if I'm not going to tumble clean.

Jim