Author Topic: Breech cleaning  (Read 707 times)

Offline Rayfan87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Breech cleaning
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:40:32 PM »
I'm new to solid breech weapons and recently got a 34 cal. cannon what tips do you have for cleaning the breechplug? I've tried putting a piece of cleaning patch on the wire borebrush, but that seems to leave alot of fouling.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Breech cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:44:04 PM »
Over lap the patch on the end of the brush and twist the rod at the bottom of the bore.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:14:41 PM »
Rayfan87 --

WELCOME to the board!

Small bores ARE a pain to clean! 

I'll bet you'll be making some custom tools that include stiff wire and perhaps chore-boy or steel wool.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
Well, I haven't gotten to that point yet. I have a set of cleaning tools for the rest of my guns, all I have done is "modify" (cut the extra core wire and solder it closed) one of the wire brushes. I've tried putting patch on the end of the brush, running it to the back, pushing it so hard it almost bends the wire, and twisting. I think my next move is talking to a dental hygienist friend and getting a cleaning pick then going through the touch hole.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »
I'd try a couple of things -

steel wire (handiwire) a soft iron wire at the hardware store for $4-5 a couple pound roll.  Take fold a length in two and in the fold crimp the chrore-boy.  Make it small enough to easly pass through the bore, but shape it to scrub the bottom of the chamber/bore.  Then add hot soapy water.

Now that I've got a pressure washer, I'm going to try that too.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:24 PM »
Well if a patch won't do it get some 0000 bronze or steel wool and wrap it around an old bore brush, push to the bottom and twist.  Do it by hand, don't use power, the bronze or steel wool as weel as the brass brush will cut.   Don't use heavier grades of wool as they will scratch and cut also.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 02:57:37 AM »
Take a piece of metal coathanger and bend a small loop in the end of it with needlenose pliers and flatten the loop slightly so it fits the bore.  Feed a strip of approx. 1" x 3" t-shirt material through the loop.  Feed the loose ends of the cloth material into the barrel first and push it in with the wire.  It's best to bend the other end of the wire at a 90 degree to act as a handle.  Give it several turns and it will do a pretty thorough job of cleaning the breech.  For the vent , I use a pipe cleaner.  If there is carbon build up at the breech, then you would need a flat blade scraper.  These are commercially available.  Dom

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 04:15:01 AM »
hot water is the best against all bp residues
with a small barrel you maybe can boil it
I always did that on all parts for my 1858 remington
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »
For a .34 cal bore, you can use commercially available cleaning accessories, including breech fouling scrapers, jags and brushes.  If using water isn't sufficient, you may want to try Hoppe's #9, which I find helps loosen up the powder residue nicely.

Because commerical sizes generally go from .32 to .36, if you want to use commercial products, I recommend .32 for jags and scrapers and .36 for a brush (not much need for a mop - just soak a patch).  I'm also a fan of using pipe cleaners for the vent (not the crafty type, which will just make a mess, but actual pipe cleaners you can pick up at a tobacco shop).

Here are some options, though most gun shops and Walmarts will have some of these (I found a jag I really like at a gun shop for my .36 long rifle for a very reasonable price):

Scrapers
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=6&subID=49&styleID=150
Brushes
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=6&subID=49&styleID=148
Jags
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=6&subID=49&styleID=152

Offline NVWalt

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
If it's a breech plug can't you unscrew it? My two little 50 cals have removeable plugs and I wouldnt own another without that feature. May not be period correct but it sure makes working those little rascals a lot easier and along with that a lot funner because of it.

Offline NVWalt

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
Dang it, didn't he say he was new to SOLID breach weapons, Sorry bout that. LOL