Author Topic: Used and Abused  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Used and Abused
« on: July 25, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »
I picked up this front stuffer from a friend cheap.
I bought it at camp last year during our muzzle loader season. My friend had never fired it he had taken it in a trade.
I test fired it and put one rb in the bull at 50yrds so the next morning I carried it on my hunt. I took a cull buck with it at 40 yards.
When I got it home I started cleaning up the bore and this is what I found so I pulled the breach plug and yep it looks like that way all the way down pipe.

What do y'all think send her down the road? New barrel? Rebore to a 54? Make a smooth bore out of it? Shoot her like she is?

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Used and Abused
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
If it's a T/C, I'd find another barrel for it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Pat/Rick

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
If I couldn't find a replacement barrel I think I would rebore it too 20 guage if there was enough "meat".

Offline flintlock

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »
You've got several options...If you can't find a factory barrel, Ed Rayle over in West Va will make you one to fit what you have...He can also rebore and re-rifle what you have...If it's a .50, go with a .54 and a 1-72 rifling...

Funny thing about these guns, they might look rough and still shoot OK...I had a friend bring me one that looked like that about 10 years ago, I cleaned it up, plugged the barrel and poured vinegar down it...Left it 2-3 days, poured it out and filled it up again for 2-3 days...I then cleaned it up and that rifle would shoot inside an inch and a half at 50 yards with patched round balls...My buddy's son in law still uses that gun today...

That barrel may very well do the same...In the 1700s, they also made smooth rifles...They were built like a rifle, had sights but no rifling...Plenty of guys hunt deer with a 20 gauge and a patched ball, they report good groups out to 75 yards or so...

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »
I had a Renegade barrel like that in .50 caliber that shot better than it ever should have.  It would hold 2 inches at 50 yards with patched balls and 2.5 inches with 300 grain XTPs in Harvester sabots.  

If you want to keep it for a loaner/knock around gun you may find a real good shooting load for it.

One of the things I notice with those barrels, while the rifling is there and you can see it with your naked eye, it's awfully hard to get it to show up in a picture.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
i'd clean'er up and shoot'er a cuppla dozen times. ugly ain't always the same as no good. have rescued a few "pyrodex queens" from local pawn shop that make that one look good. all cleaned up surprisingly well and shot pretty good to boot.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
Put some kroil oil in her and soad it a bit . It cleaned up a buddys gun.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
Call Bobby Hoyt at 719 642-6696 and see what he can do for you. He rebored one for me and while I don't remember the exact cost it was under one hundred with shipping included. He won't bore T/C's larger than .54 caliber because anything larger will sometimes run into screw holes or the absurdly deep dovetail they cut for the underlug but there is nothing wrong with .54 caliber.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Uncle Howie

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 09:14:48 AM »
Let's see... your first shot put one through the bull. Your second shot took a deer. Where's the problem?  ???

Unless you want to start shooting deer at 200 yds ("As seen on TV"), I'd say clean it up, keep the rifle as a "shooter," and spend your money elsewhere.

JMHO. ;D

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 04:04:06 PM »
I'v seen worse clean up good.  Try J&B bore cleaner.  It is a greasey paste with a very fine abrasive, kind of like old fashioned valve grinding compound, but finer abrasive.  It does miracles.  Another thing to try is car finish rubbing compound.  The white, not the red. Put it on a patch and run it up and down 10 or 12 times and then change patches. 

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:09 PM »
I bought a T/C barrel for the Hawken it's a 45 cal.
I did a tune up on the whole gun the lock was poorly inleted and the hammer was not striking the nipple squarely.
The lock also had some rough spots now she centered up and smooth as a baby's butt.
If it doesn't rain this weekend I'll see how she shoots.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 05:39:25 AM »
Hmm.  That sounds like a fun "project gun".

Track of the Wolf sells liners for $4.89 per inch.  If I had such a gun I would buy 2 or 3 inches of the liner and see if I could install it at the muzzle sort of like a rifled choke tube in a shotgun.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!