Author Topic: Save me some money on my new TC New Englander . . .  (Read 993 times)

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Save me some money on my new TC New Englander . . .
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:18 AM »
So I bought this new in-the-box at a store two years ago and never fired it! It had sat neglected in the back racks and needed a home, lol!

I added a fiber optic front bead as a concession to my older eyes, a Limbsaver pad, a Knight Red Hot nipple, synthetic ramrod and a good nylon sling.

I want to hunt with it this year, so any other owners please let me know what shoots well for them for deer? I have two TC lead bullets (mid sized Maxi-Ball and lightest Maxi-Hunter, along with Power Belt 275 gr. hollow points.

Are there any bullets to stay away from due to weight or bore diameter/rate of twist??

Thanks - perklo

Offline Landngroove

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Save me some money on my new TC New Englander . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »
Nice!!! is it a .50, or .54 ? I have 3 New Englanders, 2, .54's 1 with a 24" barrel, and 1 with a 26" barrel. Also 1, .50 with a 26" barrel. I shoot PRB's in all three with good results. 90 grains of Goex FFG is a good load. I have not tried Maxi-Balls in these, as PRB's have given me good results. All have a 1 in 48" twist. Along with the White Mountain Carbine, the New Englanders are some of the finest ML's T/C has made. IMHO.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »
I use patched round balls and 80 grains of 3f Goex.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline nhnef

• Versatile Hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
I agree on needing the fiber front site!  I missed my deer last year in the rain in the final minutes of shooting daylight.  Luckily I'm a pretty quick reloader and was able to hit him as he was moving up wind to try to scent me.  I hit him with a 275 grain maxi hunter with 100 grains of Pyrodex.  He never took another step!  I don't expect to ever have a deer give me that kind of a chance again.

This year I've switched over to 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullets with 90 grains of FFG black powder.  My accuracy is much improved and I'm confident these bullets will do their job.  Like you I've also recently added a sling to mine.  They get awfully heavy toting around all day while still hunting, will be nice to shoulder it this year.

Good luck and shoot often...it's addictive!

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:06:31 AM »
It's a .50, and 24'', I think.  I agree that the TC WMC was sweet. Never had one but a friend did, and I shot it and liked it. Very handy-sized, too.

Sounds like I have a good assortment of projectiles to start with already. I think I'll buy Goex fffg from the choices I have locally. Those are Pyrodex RS, Goex ffg and fffg, American Pioneer ffg and Triple 7.

Then try all three bullets with 85 gr and 95 gr. and pick a winner!

- perklo

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »
I never got a 50 cal. to shoot as well with FFFg as I do with FFg, except for very light ball loads. Try both and see which works best. You can always burn the other one in your cannon!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:18:12 PM »
I don't use 2f in anything.  Even in a .72 it works great.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »
Just use less 3f powder.  A "light load" with 3f can yield the same pressure as a "normal load" with 2f.
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline runnin lead

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »
For just playin around 40 gr 2f RB & pillow ticking,don't rember how it grouped but it is shure fun to shoot fullsize chickens & pigs @ 50 & 100, just had to hold about 2/3 up the pig body , chicken dead on.
Hunting Lyman Maxi 370 gr , lube a homemade Bpcr lube pan lubed & 85 gr 2f.
2-3" groups @ 100m
Single triger Nice around 2#=3# who needs a set trigger.