Author Topic: I have a question about 7.62mm and 5.56mm brass?  (Read 709 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
I have a question about 7.62mm and 5.56mm brass?
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »
I have been picking up brass ( even before I started reloading ) at the range now for a couple years. I do not own or shoot a 223 or a 308 as of yet but they are on my short list of calibers to buy and shoot. Well I have managed to pick up a good many 308 and 223 cases. I have also picked a pretty equal number of 7.62mm and 5.56mm cases. My question is when I buy a 308 and a 223 to shoot will I be able to run these 7.62mm and 5.56mm cases through a 308 and 223 full lenght sizing die and load them to shoot out of my 308 and 223? Thanks and take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: I have a question about 7.62mm and 5.56mm brass?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
Yeah, you can use 308 or 7.62x 51 brass to use in a rifle chambered for the 308 or 7.62x 51. The chamber dimensions are close enough. You'll also find no 7.62x 51 dies listed any where so you'll be using 308 dies regardless. Same goes for 223/5.56 brass. What you might find different is if you buy a military style semi auto like an M1A chambered as a 7.62x 51. If the gas system and op rod are military, you'll need to stay with the correct powders and loading data or the rifle will run out of time and damage will eventually happen at the op rod. If you buy an M1A chambered as a 308, then it's not a problem as to the pressure curves.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »
Yeah, you can use 308 or 7.62x 51 brass to use in a rifle chambered for the 308 or 7.62x 51. The chamber dimensions are close enough. You'll also find no 7.62x 51 dies listed any where so you'll be using 308 dies regardless. Same goes for 223/5.56 brass. What you might find different is if you buy a military style semi auto like an M1A chambered as a 7.62x 51. If the gas system and op rod are military, you'll need to stay with the correct powders and loading data or the rifle will run out of time and damage will eventually happen at the op rod. If you buy an M1A chambered as a 308, then it's not a problem as to the pressure curves.
You know I never thought of that until you brought it up I have never seen dies for the 7.62 or the 5.56. I do see a little difference in the case between between the 7.62 and the 308 though. I figured that when full lenght resized and trimed it should be good to fire from a 308 rifle. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Online gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »
Dale, is the brass your picking up, .308/7.62x51, or is it 7.62x39 ? Big difference!  If you run a magnet over it, and it sticks, it's 7.62x39, and steel case. You cannot reload this brass. Even if it's 7.62x39, and brass, you cannot make it to .308/7.62x51. Too short. Not trying to be a smart alec, just trying to be helpful! gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:39:36 AM »
only problem you can run into is some of the miltary brass is fired in full autos that tend to have  big chambers and dies sometimes wont size it back down enough to fit in a comercial chamber.
blue lives matter

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:40:11 AM »
It is real brass and is the same length as the regular 308 brass. Thanks Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:41:13 AM »
only problem you can run into is some of the miltary brass is fired in full autos that tend to have  big chambers and dies sometimes wont size it back down enough to fit in a comercial chamber.
Wow I did not know that. Thanks Dale

Offline shot1

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:49:13 AM »
Most of the cases marked 7.62 and 5.56 will have crimped in primers. To reload you will need to remove the crimp by either cutting it away with an inside/outside neck champher tool or get a swedging die. Be careful sizing these cases because the crimped in primers can be tough to get out and can break a de-capping pin. The Lee dies are best for removing crimped in primers. Lee also makes a de-capping tool that you use a hammer with it to drive out the primers. That is what I have used for years for the 30 cal. cases.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:01:37 AM »
Dale:  A lot of military brass is left for a reason.  Foreign Berdan primed brass is not normally reloaded in the U.S.A.  Efforts to reload Berdan primed brass results in broke decapping pins, and damaged decapping assemblies.

This topic does a good job of explaining the woes of Berdan primed brass.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,215753.0/topicseen.html

I have bought bulk 7.62 N.A.T.0 brass and resized and trimmed it into .300 Savage brass.  As mention before it is recommended that this brass gets resized in a Small Base die, because it has been fired in an oversized full auto chamber.  I just loaded a lot of 7.62 NATO for a friend’s 308.  I ran it twice in the resizing die.  I need to call him and see if it chambered.

Tons of the 7.62X39 brass laying around.  At the gun club I belong to we use magnets to pick it up during clean up.

When I am loading that brass was not made in the U.S.A. I inspect the inside of the case to make sure there is just one eye looking at me, it there are two the brass goes into the recycle can.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
Dale:  A lot of military brass is left for a reason.  Foreign Berdan primed brass is not normally reloaded in the U.S.A.  Efforts to reload Berdan primed brass results in broke decapping pins, and damaged decapping assemblies.

This topic does a good job of explaining the woes of Berdan primed brass.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,215753.0/topicseen.html

I have bought bulk 7.62 N.A.T.0 brass and resized and trimmed it into .300 Savage brass.  As mention before it is recommended that this brass gets resized in a Small Base die, because it has been fired in an oversized full auto chamber.  I just loaded a lot of 7.62 NATO for a friend’s 308.  I ran it twice in the resizing die.  I need to call him and see if it chambered.

Tons of the 7.62X39 brass laying around.  At the gun club I belong to we use magnets to pick it up during clean up.

When I am loading that brass was not made in the U.S.A. I inspect the inside of the case to make sure there is just one eye looking at me, it there are two the brass goes into the recycle can.

I did inspect the brass earlier today and the 7.62 brass is in fact Berdan primed brass. :( I just through it in the scrap bag with the rest of my old scrap brass. That is a shame though I took the time to run it through the tumbler prior to looking inside it. I know better now, next time I will look for the 2 holes inside of them before bringing them home. Thanks and take care Dale

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 01:38:29 PM »
check your 5.56 as well i get one now and then from range brass, i use lee small base dies ,full length size them. cut the crimp out of primer pocket,trim,etc.

remember externally they are similar but internally they are different, less volume with 5.56 so you need to work a load for them

p.s. don't worry about the dented cases, load to the lower end for first loading they'll pop right back out