Author Topic: Lazy Sunday with an old Mossberg 51M 22...  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
Lazy Sunday with an old Mossberg 51M 22...
« on: October 12, 2010, 08:03:57 AM »
Was studying loads for my M1 service rifle and Pedersoli 45-70 BPCR rifle on Sunday and feeling pretty good, but shot quite a few kicking rounds and while my shoulder was a little tender, my mind wanted to keep shooting.  So I dragged out my great uncle's Mossberg 51M that I recently got from a cousin and no one could figure out the last time it was fired, likely during the Eisenhower Administration....
   So any way, pulled it out of the case and quick check of the bore and action and loaded her up, book says it will hold 15 22LRs, I was only able to get it to hold 9, but since the gun came from Jersey, perhaps it had to be modified somewhere along the line...  I don't know just know it would only take 9, then cycle one into the chamber and add one more for a total of 10.
  Rifle is in mint condition and has the different front sight aperatures and posts on an axel, open sight on the barrel and target peep sight at the breech.  lowered the rear sight on the barrel as low as it would go and used the target aperture front sight with the rear peep and put the first round through the x at 50 yards...wow.  Then proceeded to place the next 9 rounds withing less than an inch of the first round. 
   Loaded up 9+1 of a different box/brand of ammo and whammo, same results....third and final box of ammo with 9+1 and exactly same results.
  Needless to say, I shot up all 3 boxes and had quite a ball.  Open sights at 50 yards, 49 year old eyes and every group was less than 2 inch groups with several right at 1 inch.

talk about fun!  REgards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Lazy Sunday with an old Mossberg 51M 22...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »
Some people like to bob or purchase shorter mag tubes, because of the weight/ballance of the gun.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
Re: Lazy Sunday with an old Mossberg 51M 22...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 05:57:25 AM »
thanks,
 could be.  I don't know if because he live in Jersey and they have one of those silly 10 shot magazine laws whether or not that applied to this rifle because it is a semi-auto...  but your theory could be spot on.  I am still amazed at how well this old bugger shoots.

regards,

Gene
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup