Author Topic: 357 mag shooting cast  (Read 549 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
357 mag shooting cast
« on: October 11, 2010, 07:20:28 AM »
hello.  i got to shoot my new used 357 mag.   i put some american eagle 158gr thruogh it and it shot pretty good groups at 50yrd open sights.  the handload hard cast .38 158gr semiwad cutters were a different story.  it was loaded with i think 4.7grain aof titegroup.  some of the bullets tumbled through the target, guess that is a keyhole??   another question is the barrel was factory fitted on a Bc frame and it lockes up pretty tight on my 243 frame, is there any problems from it locking up too tight? it does not take a lot of force to lock it up but just not as smooth as the other handis.  thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 357 mag shooting cast
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:27:56 AM »
Bullet instability(going thru the target sideways) can be causes by several issues, but top of the list is velocity is too slow or the bullets are too small for the bore.... or both.

Read my barrel fitting info in the FAQs to determine if if fits correctly.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:01:29 AM »
thanks again tim.  how do i know what is the min velocity for a 22in barrel?  or is it a test load and shoot thing?  i will check the barrel fitting section again.  i want sure if there was anything on there about it being fitted too tight.  thanks again

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »
Your load is slightly above a start load, so it's likely the bullets are a little on the small side, and being hard cast, don't bump up to fill the bore, you can try to push them harder to see if it helps, but a bigger diameter cast bullet will probably be needed.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »
+1 on the too small dia. In my experience, most '.38 cal' guns shoot .359 or even .360 dia. cast bullets much better than those size at .357.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974