Author Topic: Kentucky Flintlock  (Read 768 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Kentucky Flintlock
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:18:38 AM »
I have a Kentucky flintlock replica pistol I aquired in 1970.  It is stamped with Gardone & Brescia proof marks.  On top of the barrel in fairly large letters is   -I-G-E-
Does anyone know what this means?

I also have a replica 1851 Army aquired in 1972.  It also has the Gardone & Brescia proof marks.  It has the word "JANA" stamped in the brass at the bottom of the grip.  Does anyone know what this means?
Thanks for the help.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Kentucky Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:04:23 AM »
Can't help with the first one but Jana International was an importer, now defunct. The 1851 was generally called the "Navy model". It has an octagon barrel and was originally produced in .36 caliber only but many replicas were produced in .44 caliber, if we can call it a "replica" of a gun with no "original". The Army model Colt was the .44 caliber model of 1860. It has the round, sort of streamlined looking barrel and the rack & pinnon loading lever.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Kentucky Flintlock
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 08:26:28 AM »
Can't help with the first one but Jana International was an importer, now defunct. The 1851 was generally called the "Navy model". It has an octagon barrel and was originally produced in .36 caliber only but many replicas were produced in .44 caliber, if we can call it a "replica" of a gun with no "original". The Army model Colt was the .44 caliber model of 1860. It has the round, sort of streamlined looking barrel and the rack & pinnon loading lever.

Thanks coyotejoe,
Mine has an octogon barrel and stamped on the side says,
"Cal. 44 Army Model 1851"
I have an 1860 but the two guns don't look anything alike.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com