Author Topic: silencer  (Read 2476 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: silencer
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 06:33:10 AM »
If cool is the plan then let them use the bbl as the inter tube for the sl. and put a piece of armoflex insulation over it ? They do it with ruger 22's all the time. You get a longer bbl and a sl at the same time . The insulation keeps your hand from a burn and looks like a supper bull bbl.  ;D

Wonder if anyone has tried making a bbl extension for a rifle like they do for a metro gun ?
Have you tried a Metrogun? I just got couple Invector Plus tubes. Interesting stuff. About 36", very light, lotsa holes. Unfortunately, I will probably end up buying a BPS just to try it out. The noise level claims are quite good. Same as a car door closing at 100 feet. I imagine that with a 12 gauge slug, it could do a job on urban animals.

I have not tried one yet ,I read an article about when the guy invented it . He used pvc pipe at first . He gave mesurments and hole placement in the article. If I could get a copy now I would try it myself.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 06:34:53 AM »
BTW federal makes ammo for it in a reduced type load . There are reduced power slugs out for LEO's you might have a plan. Add a rifled tube  ;)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
If cool is the plan then let them use the bbl as the inter tube for the sl. and put a piece of armoflex insulation over it ? They do it with ruger 22's all the time. You get a longer bbl and a sl at the same time . The insulation keeps your hand from a burn and looks like a supper bull bbl.  ;D

Wonder if anyone has tried making a bbl extension for a rifle like they do for a metro gun ?
Have you tried a Metrogun? I just got couple Invector Plus tubes. Interesting stuff. About 36", very light, lotsa holes. Unfortunately, I will probably end up buying a BPS just to try it out. The noise level claims are quite good. Same as a car door closing at 100 feet. I imagine that with a 12 gauge slug, it could do a job on urban animals.

I have not tried one yet ,I read an article about when the guy invented it . He used pvc pipe at first . He gave mesurments and hole placement in the article. If I could get a copy now I would try it myself.
Just looked at one. Holes are drilled at 90 degrees; 4 around the barrel. Starts about 1' from the end. 13 sets of holes 1.5" apart, then 3 sets 4" apart, for a total of 64. I see that I can just screw 2 or 3 or 100 together til I reach the target at the ham shoot. That would be fun :) Or like you said, throw some pipe insulation around the whole thing for further noise reduction. Nah. Plastic tubing would be super heavy BTW.

Offline j350hp

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 04:05:46 AM »
well i have a short 20 inch 223 barrel and a 300 whisper sounds cool for all day plinkin no earmuffs and start my young girls on.i know there are 22 for that  but the 223 has a little more kick witch i like.it is legal in tx with appropiate paperwork.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 04:48:51 AM »
36 inches of 3/4 PVC sch 40 would be ozs really .It was his test bed. And i would think insulation over the holes would negate any usefulness.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 05:22:51 AM »
The States and Federal Governments assume you're going to use surpressors, laser sights, etc. illegally.  It's just totally stupid.  We're tried and convicted before we break any rules.  Allow anything, and crack down when a law is broken.  Fine, if you hold up a convenience store with a silenced weapon, then, lock him up. (He will be anyway) If you shoot a deer legally with a silencer, who cares.  If I can hit a coyote between the eyes with a laser sight at midnight, so much the better, one less wounded animal to look for.

I for one am sick and tired of our government presupposing we're going to commit crimes with the equipment we have......a good example.....what in creation are "Burglary tools"....any tool I can imagine....come lock me up, I have all of them.

A very disgruntled old fart,

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 05:42:24 AM »
might be ease of enforcement . if everyone is guilty already. Then also maybe they can't afford the toys and don't want others to have them  ;D

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 06:03:20 AM »
The NFA was enacted in 1934. Many decades before I was born, or even my parents were born. I am assuming that the country was a lot friendlier towards gun ownership back then, so I have no idea why silencers were regulated. Interestingly enough, silencers only existed since 1902, so they had not even been around for too long.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 06:10:06 AM »
I guess it was in opposition to the organized crime during the 20's and 30's brought on by the booze free time. Anything used by gansters that could be prohibited was. Really does a shoulder stock make a pistol a sniper rifle ? or a can really effect the out come of a killing ? Typical knee jerk politics at its best .

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 06:14:09 AM »
It would have made more sense to ban anything with a removeable magazine. I would not have liked it better, but it would have made sense.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 06:28:44 AM »
I disagree.  I like removable magazines.  Quicker to unload and make the gun safe.  Keeps all the shells together in one place.  Had a game warden at a hunter safety course that said for a kids first multi loading gun, it should have a removable magazine, like a Browning lever over a Marlin.  Can drop the mag, eject the one in the chamber, and it is unloaded.  Said most accidents by kids under 21 are with lever actions where they cycle the levers to unload the rifle and accidently fire the gun.  He said the same with bolt guns, at least have a swing down plate to remove the cartridges, like a Rem BDL rather than an ADL.  He also said a magazine fed .22 like Ruger rather than tube fed.  Safer to unload. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 07:05:05 AM »
I had 2 boys go to class and the number 1 cause of accidents as far as weapons was letting the hammer slip when lowering it after loading or cocking and not fireing be it a lever gun or Single shot rifle or shot gun .
 The most dangerest thing with a kid and a pistol is when they rack the slide and see a round fall out then drop the mag thinking the gun is unloaded . I have read several times they do this then shoot a frind or family member trying to be funny.

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »
I disagree.  I like removable magazines.  Quicker to unload and make the gun safe.  Keeps all the shells together in one place.  Had a game warden at a hunter safety course that said for a kids first multi loading gun, it should have a removable magazine, like a Browning lever over a Marlin.  Can drop the mag, eject the one in the chamber, and it is unloaded.  Said most accidents by kids under 21 are with lever actions where they cycle the levers to unload the rifle and accidently fire the gun.  He said the same with bolt guns, at least have a swing down plate to remove the cartridges, like a Rem BDL rather than an ADL.  He also said a magazine fed .22 like Ruger rather than tube fed.  Safer to unload.  
I have seen several people at the range shoot by mistake when they were closing the lever. Not sure if mag vs tube matters. Then again, when you are unloading after a day of hunting, levering all your ammo into the snow is annoying.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »
Someone ask what load I am using for my sub-sonic 30-06.  12gr of Trail Boss.  I think I am getting about 900fps.  But with the can on, it is just a whisper.

Have a friend that has a suppressor on a Remington bolt gun in .300 Win Mag.  Same thing, just a whisper when he shoots.  He is the one that got me interested in suppressors.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
Sourdough, what bullet weight are you using with the 12g of Trailboss?  Also, does it hit lower than say a standard load?

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2010, 01:55:22 AM »
Interesting. I run about 7.3 grains of Trail Boss (1.6cc scoop) in a 30-30 behind a 170 grain cast and it is not subsonic.

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »
Interesting indeed, but there are a number of factors to consider:

There is the smaller case, but that doesn't seem to be enough for the difference, maybe he's shooting jacketed bullets? i did not see in his post. That makes some difference. I know from shooting pistols that a case will hold its crimp better with lead bullets, apparently the brass holds the lead better...stronger hold means higher initial pressure, i would assume. Ironically, it is said that cast bullets go down the bore a little easier than jacketed bullets; perhaps they conform more easily to the rifling being softer and all. Can't compare barrel length when we don't know...but that still seems to be a considerable difference...i don't think its impossible.
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Dweezil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »
Wreckhog,
A couple factors may be at play here: 30/30 has significantly less case volume than the 30-06 so the same amount of powder would give you a higher pressure peak in the smaller volume case. I load subsonic for 7.62x39 and .308 and the x39 uses 6.5grain and the .308 uses 10.6gr  to give velocities in the 1020fps range with the same 180gr bullet. You'll also tend to get slightly higher velocities with lead vs. jacketed rounds because of better base upset and bore obturation with the lead bullets. (I haven't been able to test this myself as I only load jacketd bullets---my .308 suppressor doesn't dissassemble for cleaning so I don't want a lot of lead buildup in a sealed can).  You'll also tend to get better accuracy with the smaller volume case as some powders are position sensitive and you can get a wide range in bullet speed depending on where the relatively small amount of powder ends up in a larger volume case.  My x39 is MUCH more accurate than my .308 with subsonic loads.   Make sense?

Offline catman50plus

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2010, 02:44:43 PM »
To answer your question in the original post, YES, and the results have been great!

If one sould decide to do it, either Form 4, ( Dealer Sold ), or Form 1 ( self built ) DO NOT make any part until you have your paperwork in your own hand! ATF does not play when it comes to this, and any part will land you in jail, if  you get the cart before the horse.

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »
Makes some sense. I just shot 20 rounds of the 7.3 grain Trail Boss 30-30 load off my porch, half from a 22" Handi, half from a 26" 94. And a couple of max load .22 Hornets from an 18" Handi. 26" 30-30 was the loudest, then the Hornet, and by a hair, the 22" 30-30. Non crimped. All loud enough to have me concerned about annoying the neighbor.

Offline Dweezil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
Wreck,
 Have you shot them over a Chrony?  Because they actually might be subsonic but would certainly still be loud without a suppressor.  6.5-7.5gr of TrailBoss is about the right charge weight for a 30/30 subsonic with that bullet weight. Anybody who thinks UN-suppressed subsonics are quiet must already have significant hearing loss. My subsonics are still loud unsuppressed but not as painful as supersonics.