Author Topic: What can be done to minimize effects of large throats  (Read 834 times)

Offline inthebeech

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
What can be done to minimize effects of large throats
« on: October 21, 2010, 07:55:54 AM »
My new 44 Special flat top Blackhawk has a .4294 groove and .433 throats.  All throats are within half a thousandth so they're consistent but about two thousandths too large.  I am initially experimenting with soft (BHN=10) 200 gr RNFP at .430.  So I guess my question is basically where is the optimum balance regarding bullet diameter?  As I go up in diameter and force the grooves to swage it down further (bad) but get closer to a snug fit in the throats (good) where have you more experienced folks found the most benefit / least detriment to be?  As accuracy is principle, I am shooting med velocity (700-750 f/s) but will take my loading wherever you recommend to maximize accuracy.
Thanks,
Ed

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: What can be done to minimize effects of large throats
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:18:44 AM »
Have you tried hard bullets at 430. Id about bet theyd do fine. Ive got a new bisley 44 special and it shoots 430s into an inch at a 100 yards. I never measured my throats as it shoots well enough that i dont care. If your gun is not shooting well then i would try a 431 sizer. I have never  been a fan of using soft  bullets and having them bump up. When a bullet bumps up it is basicaly deforming into a glob of lead. If you recover a bullet that is shot that way you will see that it in no way resembles the original bullet design. Hard to get accuracy when a soft bullet slams into the rifling and turns to a blob of soft lead. No way it can happen the exact same way every time. If im looking for the best accuracy in a revolver i will never use any alloys softer then straight air cooled ww unless im fooling with hps and that statement holds for whether im shooting them at 700 fps or 1700 fps.
blue lives matter

Offline Nobade

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:12:18 AM »
Or you could buy a .433 mold from Ranch Dog like I did. Hard or soft, fast or slow, it doesn't matter. That bullet flat out shoots in the Rugers!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 05:37:58 AM »
Or you could buy a .433 mold from Ranch Dog like I did. Hard or soft, fast or slow, it doesn't matter. That bullet flat out shoots in the Rugers!

Explain and if you could a picture of the good bullet

Tommyt

Offline Nobade

"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline gray-wolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:29:10 AM »
Size em to fit the throats, a couple of Thousand over ain't going to hurt anything.
You can do a little home work on lead bullets and obturation ( bumping up )
You may also look into lead hardness and the effects of  different speed ( fast slow ) powders.
  If your throats are smaller than your bore--well that ain't right.
BHN of 10 should be OK at 700 FPS, But if you shoot .430 in a .4294 well that's almost bore size slugs and you will probably get leading.
  I would like throats .002 over bore and then size to my throat diameter.
If you don't get good results I would call Ruger and question them on the throat size