Author Topic: Can .454 sized cast bullets be shot from 454 casual?  (Read 603 times)

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Can .454 sized cast bullets be shot from 454 casual?
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:07:13 AM »
Hi guys.  Have some 45 colt loads sized with cast bullets sized to .454, would they be safe to shoot out of the 454 encore?  I called T/C and they would not give an answer.  Loading manuals say size 45 colt to .452 and the casual to .451. 

Thanks for the help!

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Can .454 sized cast bullets be shot from 454 casual?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
In most case's you can , provided that they fit the chamber , Will they shoot well is a bigger question ?

Thats to be seen , it will depend on what your bore slugs at , Normaly cast bullets will swage down with no problem as they move down the barrel , However there is a chance that pressures will rise slightly and that leading may become an issue .

Some guns do very well with over-sized bullets and some just hate them , only way to know for sure is to try some .

For what its worth , I shoot alot of as-cast .454s in both of my 45LC's and both do very well with them .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »
Thanks Stimpylu32 :D  They do fit the chamber and slide right in.  I'll shoot them out and if it looks like a shotgun pattern I'll size them to .452 and see what happens.  Have a great day!

Bulletstuffer

PS  Wish I could have made one of the GB PD shoots with you guys before they ended.  They sounded great!
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
They worked fine :D  Shot 50 with 270 grain cast.  Decent groups at 50 yards but scattered groups at 100.  I would not shoot a deer at 100 yards with this load.  Appreciate the help.

Bulletstuffer

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 02:00:03 AM »
the fact there sized to 454 probably has little to do with your bad accuracy. Only reason im sure that the loading manuals say to size to 451 with the 454 is some FA guns have tight chambers and wont allow a bullet much bigger to fit in the chamber alothough i use 452 in mine without problem. Your accuracy problems are more then likely due to the fact that the 45 colt is a shorter round and theres a much bigger jump for the bullet before it hits the rifling. Very simular to the problem with shooting 45 colts in 410 tc barrels. As to safety there perfectly safe to shoot in your tc even at 454.
Hi guys.  Have some 45 colt loads sized with cast bullets sized to .454, would they be safe to shoot out of the 454 encore?  I called T/C and they would not give an answer.  Loading manuals say size 45 colt to .452 and the casual to .451. 

Thanks for the help!

Bulletstuffer
blue lives matter