Author Topic: New to MZ pistols  (Read 1024 times)

Offline jdman

• Trade Count: (0)
New to MZ pistols
« on: December 08, 2003, 06:38:11 PM »
I am not new to Muzzle loading both Inline and Sidelock, but now I am interested in a 45 pistol of moderate price.  In Missouri you can carry as many muzzle loaders as you can tote, and I would like to have a back up. I want one that is safe, and not prone to crossfire, something that has always worried me.  I kind of like the looks of the Old Army Ruger, but a little pricy and hard to sneak by the wife.. Any suggestions would be nice. Russ

Offline Full House

New to MZ pistols
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 07:52:44 AM »
I suggest asking for "Flint's" opinion; however, I would recommed a Uberti .44 New Model Army Remington with 5 1/2" barrel as a back-up.

MidWayUSA.com/ in the state of Missouri sells them for less than $200.00.

"Chain-fires" can ocurr; however, with proper cap size, correct ball size and wonder wads and lube over the charged cylinder it is unlikely.  I have shot thousands of rounds and never had one. There is one caveat, a cracked cylinder chamber can result in a cross fire.

Also, I would read all I could find on-line and elsewhere concerning cap and ball revolvers.  Most revolver arrive with very little information, i.e. cap size, ball size, and powder charges.
Full House

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
New to MZ pistols
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 12:38:17 PM »
Also don't forget my problem with over reamed chambers that were bigger than the chamber mouth.  A rare occurance, but something I'll be checking whenever I get a new revolver.  Check the "Cracked Cylinder" thread somewhere's below.   I think it would be a worthwhile thing to do before firing any new c&b pistol. :-)

Btw, Cabela's has those new snubbies in either 36 or 44.  One of those might be what you're looking for.
Singing Bear

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
New to MZ pistols
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 12:53:33 PM »
Hmmm.  Can't seem to edit my response.

Nevermind about that thread I mentioned.  If you want to check your cylinder for bad chambers, remove the cylinder, remove the nipples, replace cylinder, ram balls into each chamber then, while holding a small flashlight to each chamber, look through each nipple hole to check for any light showing through.  They should all be dark.  If you gots light, that may mean that your chamber mouths are sizing the balls smaller than the chamber.  Thus an overreamed chamber that will lead to chainfires and/or misfires due to undersized balls.  Been there, done that.
Only thing you can do about that is to send the gun back for an exchange, since it'll be new anyways....right?  :wink:
Singing Bear

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
New to MZ pistols
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 01:28:03 AM »
JDMan

You got me curious.  For what, in Missouri, do you need back-up when hunting?  If you need backup I would go with no less that the Ruger, the Walker, or one of the Dragoons.  All big, all heavy, and all take large charges.  Until the advent of the .357 Mag the Walker was still the most powerful production handgun ever made in the US.  Anything less than that and you are down in the power range of the 45 Colt or the 38 Special.  Generally not recommended for hunting.  

Wayne the Shrink
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Flint

backup
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 05:17:45 AM »
As Full House said, an Uberti Remington in 5-1/2 inch will take a 30 grain charge of Pyrodex or 777 and would be a serious revolver.  The Ruger Old Army in stainless, 5-1/2 inch will hold 35 gr with a Wonder Wad under it, and I have fired that with Hogdon's 777 and it feels and hits like a 44 Cartridge gun.  The lead roundball is a very effective bullet, being pure leadf, and Rugers have brought deer down with one shot.  There is a thread about of a hunter who has, but he also scoped his Ruger.  The 7-1/2 inch Ruger can be bought for less, as the short one is in demand at the moment.  Check Gunsamerica and Gunbroker for them.  The Ruger would be preferred for strength and reliability.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline jdman

Backup
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 08:18:42 AM »
In Missouri the law allows you to carry a BP pistol in addition to a BP rifle, during the MZ season. It must be .40 or larger, and I thought it would be nice to have a 2nd shot, or finish off shot, depending on the distance.  And of course we have a critter ML (mountain Lion) which has been seen several times on the land I hunt.  But mostly I would just like get familar with BP pistol shooting. Russ

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
new to mz pistols
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 04:07:41 PM »
Gentlemen,
For what it's worth, in reply to Wayne the shrink's statement that ".45 Colt & .38spl carts not suitable for hunting...while the "lawyer-proof"
 factory loading(around 730fps w/250gr bullet) is certainly anemic for hunting, handloads such as Paco Kelly's 18.5grs of 2400 for about 1160fps (20000psi) out of a Colt clone is a stout hunting load , not kabooming these modern steel guns. I know we're not talking about .45 Colt here, I just wanted to defend it. Thanx. jd45.

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
New to MZ pistols
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 08:03:46 PM »
Russ:

If you can swing it, buy the stainless ROA.  In the long run you'll be very glad you did.  It's rugged, easy to clean and will serve you well as a powerful backup in the field.  Yes, it's a bit pricey compared to most BP revolvers...but it's something you will probably keep for years.  

Lots of good advice to be had on this forum...doubt if you can find anyone who has anything bad to say about the Ruger.

Let us know what you end up with and how you (and your wife) like it.   :)

Good Luck and Be Safe!   ...Chris    :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline Super Rat

New to MZ pistols
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 03:48:22 PM »
I think the 5.50" (or anything shorter than that 8" barrel) .44 Remington suggestion is pretty good. Don't overlook the .36 Remington either, they are more powerful than you think, and nice to carry. I've switched from a 1860 Colt to a Remington Navy lately, and I think that with 777 the .36 is as powerful as the 1860 with Black, and I don't really think the Colt design is "up to" full charges with 777. Again, the .36, actually a .375, is not a weakling, and are very comfortable and unobtrusive to carry.

It's always a good idea to carry a sidearm. Even if it's not strictly legal to use it for the coup-de-grass, it sure beats blowing another rifle sized hole through the animal if it's still alive. I also think that since you never know what kind of two legged varmint(s) you may run into out in the out-back, it's a good idea to have some extra fire-power on you.

I would think that wonder wads alone, and skip the grease, will prevent any chain-fire, if the pistol is not defective. I too have shot cap-n-ball for many years without ever a chain fire.

When packing a rifle, I'd rather pack a pistol that's comfortable to carry and does not get in the way, so IMHO that kind of rules out the ROA and the Walkers and Dragoons. With just a 1.50" shorter barrel, my Navy Remington is much more comfortable than my 1860 Colt.
Brown Bess .75 calibre carbine, .62 calibre Jaeger, .58 Calibre slug gun.

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
New to MZ pistols
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 01:07:01 AM »
Thank you JD45.  I thought of that as I was writing, but then thought that we are talking exclusively of black powder loads here on this thread, so left it as it was.  I agree with you, properly loaded the .45 Colt is more than adequate.  

Super Rat

Humm, you are right about the two-legged variety of varmit.  However, I don't think I would want to face a wounded bear, of any variety, with a .36!

Wayne the shrink
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!