Author Topic: Any word on "The More Complete Cannoneer"?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Asron87

• Trade Count: (0)
Any word on "The More Complete Cannoneer"?
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »
I was looking forward to ordering a copy of The More Complete Cannoneer but I still don't know where to get one. I thought an updated version was going to be released sometime this summer. I had a busy summer and hardly had any GBO free time, so maybe it was posted and I missed it.

Any info on it?

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Any word on "The More Complete Cannoneer"?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
This is the web site of the author/publisher of The More Complete Cannoneer.  While there have been statements that a new edition would be available in various parts of 2010, there has been no announcement here or otherwise of that new edition.  There is still a fair amount of 2010 left so it may yet happen this year.

You haven't  missed it.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Asron87

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:49:50 PM »
I hope it gets released. The only copy I've found is $200 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/MORE-COMPLETE-CANNONEER-Regulations-Department/dp/B00450JSH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286512410&sr=8-2-catcorr

I'm just a broke college student, I can hardly afford food. I had to have a rummage sale just so I could buy one of the Krepp Seacoast Guns by Seacoast Artillery, but at least now I have 4 cannons to tinker around with. And with winter fast approaching I'm going to need some reading material ASAP (North Dakota's winters are cold and long).

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
Your post brought back fun memories of my college days at OIT in Klamath Falls,Oregon. This is my cannon in the residence hall dorm , the rules didn't cover cannons so no one really knew what to do with it. It was a problem packing down 4 floors when I went shooting on the weekends .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
That's a fine looking naval gun, Moose. It seems like it just about spans the width of the hallway; what's the bore size and approx. weight? I'd guess that it took a couple of you to get it down the stairs; or did you really have to earn the the name Moose? ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 07:50:08 AM »
I could move the barrel short distances ,but that is all I wanted to do . It was bored out to 1.7 in , the barrel was about 36 in long and I made it from a 6in prop shaft out of a tug boat from Coos Bay, Oregon. Never did weigh it but think it was about 150 lbs. Yes it took two people to haul it up and down the stairs .I was taking Machine Tech in college so I was in the machine shop a lot. Made a new carriage for it later and eventually sold it .

Offline Asron87

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »
Moose53,

I can't believe you sold it. Man that thing looks great. I have a parrot cannon that I just bought from Armorer77, hopefully I can have a nice looking carriage built by the time the snow melts. Did you have any problems with having a cannon or did they just leave you alone because "the rules didn't cover cannons". Usually there's that one person who has a problem with everything and ruins it for everyone.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:56:52 AM »
Its easier to sell something when you can make another one , I have my own shop now . I was able to keep it in my dorm room for a while and then moved it to the locked storage at the end of the hall , that made everyone happy. People are freaked out more today then they were then so it was a lot easier to do things. ;D