Author Topic: brass sizing and with excessive pressure  (Read 530 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
brass sizing and with excessive pressure
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »
i have not been reloading that long.   i am trying to reload for my h&270 win.   i bought a rcbs neck sizer but i still am not sure how to use it.  the instructions do not address the neck sizer dies as a separate die.   what i did is just use it like a normal die and ran it down to the shell holder i also used the hornady full size die and both cases are pretty much identical in size.  should i be seeing and obvious difference in cases?  ok that was question #1 question #2 is on the hornady dies it seems as though i am applying a lot of pressure to get the ram all the way to the top.  i do not remember it being that tough the one time i use it before.   i am just using the lee single stage press that came with challenger kit.  thanks

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
Re: brass sizing and with excessive pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:54:05 PM »
  Are you lubing the cases inside of the neck and outside before running it into the die ?
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »
Also as far as the sizing die go you would either use use the full lenght die or the neck sizing die, You do not use them together or one right after another. You can pretty much just use a neck sizing die on a piece of brass that has been fired from your a bolt action rifle or maybe even in a single shot rifle like a H&R Handi rifle if I am not mistaken. I think for all other rifles that are semi auto and such they do need full lenght sized. Yes when full lenght sizing it will require more pressure to size a case due to the fact that you are sizing the whole case and just not the neck of the case like when using the neck sizing die. I hope that helped you some but I am still pretty new to this and I am sure if I am wrong about something I said someone here will set it straight. Take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:55:33 AM »
You should f/l resize brass that was not fired in your rifle,if fired in your rifle it can be neck sized..

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 02:10:01 AM »
for your neck sizing die take a piece of brass fired in that gun and tumble it clean then use a cigertte lighter or match to smoke the neck. Back your die off a bit and size it. Look at your neck and you will be able to see how far down the die sized. then ajust your die until it sizes the neck down to the shoulder but no more. You wont need to lube your cases but most times it does help alot to lube the inside of the neck of the brass. I use something like dry graphite or spray moly that doesnt need to be tumbled or cleaned off. Most of the standard calibers i load for i load with standard sizing dies as that ammo my be used in differnt guns. Where i use neck sizing the most is for mag rifle rounds mostly to make my brass last longer and in tc contenders.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 07:17:12 AM »
LS gave you some good instructions for neck sizing if you go that route. I don't have any personal experience with the break action single shots. I have heard on several occasions from those that do, experience enough stretching of their cases to make neck sizing only impractical. I would neck size a few cases and chamber check them in your rifle before loading a large quantity. Good luck and good shooting!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »
If you are resizing brass for a break open H&R you will have to full length resize the brass.  There is enough give in the action so that the brass will be too long to close the action on a fired case.  Try putting a fired case back in the gun and see if you can close the action, if not, then neck sizing only will not work for you.  A H&R in 270 is about the limit of pressure for that gun.  It is hard to pull down the sizing lever because the die has to push the sholder back so far.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.