Author Topic: K31 Swiss  (Read 845 times)

Offline carryon

• Trade Count: (0)
K31 Swiss
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:44:40 AM »
please offer suggestions on what scope to mount on a K-31 Swiss to be used for general hunting duties.  I mainly hunt hog, and deer.  Max range will likely be around 200 yds with this rifle.  Any help would be much appreciated.
There is nothing that evil men fear so much as a good man who knows what is right and is willing to fight and die to see it done.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
Re: K31 Swiss
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:24:21 AM »
Vortex Viper 2-7x32 on sale for $169 at swfa

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »
Carryon, You need to mention if you intend to use a scout type scope mount on rear sight or one on the receiver.  Big difference on scope you will need.

If scope is on a scout mount, you need a long eye relief scope (LER scope), such as one used on a pistol.

If a typical receiver type mount then perhaps you should consider the Nitrex TR1 1.5-5X32mm scope for $140 at Natchez Shooters Supply.  Very good glass and Nitrex has a rebate of $50 on it, bringing price down to $90, plus shipping.  Its a bargain buy on scope that had a retail price of about $300.  This Nitrex by Weaver scope sells under the Weaver label for about $289.  Heck of a buy for a good scope.

Higher powered Nitrex TR1 or TR2 models also available at Natchez.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE94554&prodTitle=Nitrex TR One 1.5-5x32mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

Another bargain buy scope with also good glass is the Intensity 2.8x10x44 scope at Natchez, only $70.  It once had a retail price for around $230 and still available as a Weaver 40/44 scope that retails for over $260, but sells for around $180.  Glass on this scope is good, has aspherical type lens system and it is quite clear.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=IT&prodID=IT94650&prodTitle=Intensity Optics 2.8-10x44 Rifle Scope Duplex Reticle Matte Finish

Offline carryon

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:50:40 AM »
Thanks, and I really had not considered the scout set up but now I'm interested.  Either way I'm going to have to tap the rifle to mount a scope.  The K31 shoots good but this one is not a collector so I'm not worried about affecting the value.

The links and advice on the scopes has been incredible, thanks again.  Also if any of you have a K31 set up with a scope I would like to hear about it.

Mark
There is nothing that evil men fear so much as a good man who knows what is right and is willing to fight and die to see it done.

Offline Range Rider

• Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:01:11 AM »
Go to Brownells they offer a tip off scope mount no drilling. This mount is off set to the right about an 1".  I have a K31 with a 20X scope set up for 1000 yd steel plates.  I would also order the stock pad from them as the K31 stock is too low for scpe mounting.

RR
Range Rider

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:59:40 PM »
I set up my K31 for deer hunting using a Swiss Products clamp on mount that RR mentioned.  Its really a nice solid mount and I mounted a 2-7 Nikon Prostaff.  My only complaint is operation of the cocking ring safety.  When set up for my eye relief, the ocular end of the scope made operation of the ring diffucult, especially when wearing gloves.  I always thought if I jumped a deer and had to get off a shot in a hurry I'd be in trouble.

That being said, a scout type mount might be a good idea.

Jim

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:58:25 AM »
I am hoping to get one of the Nitrex TR2 3-15x42 scopes before the sale ends.  Thats a great deal on those scopes.  I have the viper I mentioned above.  Its a great compact, low weight scope.