Author Topic: Is this brass worth nearly twice as much?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Is this brass worth nearly twice as much?
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:14:13 PM »
Is this 22-250 brass worth nearly twice as much as normal brass?
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38616/Product/Lapua_Brass___22_250_Rem__100_ct_?mc_ID=s3014
 Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Is this brass worth nearly twice as much?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
I wouldn't have any need for it, perhaps there are some people whose equipment is precise enough to demand it,  I am certainly not one of them.

If you have made big investments in time and money to get a rig up to the next level then why use crappy brass?
A couple things however, however special it is, it won't be so special after you:

-fire it in the chamber of your rifle
-size it in your die out of your $25 die set.   ;D
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:20:04 PM »
If you got a custom bench gun and you shoot competition it is.  If you got a factory gun just uniform some winchester brass and you probably won't notice a difference in accuracy between the two.  Just my 2 cents.   Dave

Online gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:04:46 AM »
Hafta go along with what everybody else mentioned. Unless you have a custom built gun, wont matter much. And even then, it's a mind thing. If you think it'll give you better groups, it will. If you want to shoot better groups, get whatever number you want to load,make sure their the same lot number,uniform the flash holes and primer pockets, outside turn necks for consistency, and practice. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 05:30:15 AM »
+1 to the 3 above, for a custom chamber it's the way to go, but it's kinda lost on factory guns.

Get the tools to do what gypsyman said and you can tune an sort Fed, Rem and Win brass too a significant gain in factory chambers.
 Outside neck turning and proper concentricity loading ,not correcting after, made a big differance for me.
found elsewhere

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
Is this 22-250 brass worth nearly twice as much as normal brass?
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38616/Product/Lapua_Brass___22_250_Rem__100_ct_?mc_ID=s3014
 Thanks Dale

Sinclair charges more for a lot of things..You can get the same brass cheaper elsewhere...http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/637.

Is Lapua brass better than Remington..IMHO.. it is..I've found that their cases are very close in weight and length....much closer than the Nosler or Norma which is much more expensive, and I've also had fewer damaged cases when buying it as well. If you have a sloppy chamber then don't waste your money..buy more of the cheaper and just sort your cases by weight.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 01:51:12 AM »
no its not
blue lives matter

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 04:55:18 AM »
IMHO.. I disagree with most remarks, if you want the best Lapua is it. I use it exclusively in my Target Remington 308, and love every thing about it...it's VERY consistent and I get way more reloads out of it than the other guys. Plus it's just easy to work with overall.
It's up to you Dale, but you can find it cheaper if you look around:
http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=7L
Here is where I get my goods and they have excellent prices all around.

-Aaron

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 05:03:31 AM »
IMHO.. I disagree with most remarks, if you want the best Lapua is it. I use it exclusively in my Target Remington 308, and love every thing about it...it's VERY consistent and I get way more reloads out of it than the other guys. Plus it's just easy to work with overall.
It's up to you Dale, but you can find it cheaper if you look around:
http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=7L
Here is where I get my goods and they have excellent prices all around.

-Aaron
I just saved that site to my favorites. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 05:23:03 AM »
No problem.. I got it from 6mmbr.com and have been ordering ever sense. You will be hard pressed to find Leupold and other scope prices at the same rate.... I have yet to find another and I don't know how they get away with it :-\ 8)

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 06:22:22 PM »
Absolutely it is at least twice as good. Try some before you question the $. The Lapua brass is ready to size and fire in your precision rifle. No screwing around with flash hole deburring or primer pocket uniforming. It's done for you. The necks are far more consistent in thickness, usually .001" or less in variation. The case mouths are even already chamfered. All that together is a serious time savings. The metal in the brass itself is higher quality and you will get more firings from it. Also, open a new bag of anyone else's brass and start weighing cases. Then do the same with the Lapua brass. You will see the difference.

Now if your making handloads for your father in law's beat-to-what factory rifle, no you're wasting your time with the higher end brass.

If you have a serious long range or precision rifle you're working with, yes it's worth the investment.

I have a couple of long range precision rifles that I use Lapua brass in. I also have a custom 6 TCU Contender carbine barrel that I use Lapua 223 brass in. Most all of my factory hunting rifles I use "regular", Win, Rem, etc., brass in however, and in those applications it works out fine.

I buy all my Lapua brass at Bruno's shop. I'm lucky enough to live 15 minutes away from his store. Their prices on Lapua brass have been consistently better than anywhere else I've tried. Plus they are super nice people who are all very serious about precision shooting. And no I don't have any "interests" in their operation, other than being a paying customer.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
Thanks Aaron for the link. It has just now become usefull. Thanks again Dale

Offline wncchester

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
"Is this brass worth nearly twice as much? "

Those who use it think so.  Those who don't, disagree.   Who's right??
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »
I would guess that anyone that says it is not has never used it. Would I use it for hunting deer, where I may loose it? NO. It has uniform case weight and more important volume, the wall thickness is often so good, it does not need to be turned it has reamed primer flash holes, ect. I just sorted out some .222 brass and after weighing and checking neck thickness, I culled around 50 pieces. When thats done, I still need to uniform pockets, debur the flash holes and if I want them close to the Lapua neck turn, and they are still not as good. I do agree that with alot of chambers, you will not see as much gain, but uniform internal volume and uniform neck tension does make a tighter group. I use it in 6mm br, .222 and in .223 for forming my .20 practical for load work up. The .22-250 is the parent case for a couple of high accuracy long range cases, so I would guess that is why it is now offered, not for p-doggin.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 07:11:37 AM »
Thanks Aaron for the link. It has just now become usefull. Thanks again Dale

No prob. I am sure you will love Lapua's stuff, they make excellent bullets too. And from everything I hear some of the most accurate factory loads too..be they limited.
Enjoy :)