Author Topic: AR feed ramps  (Read 656 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
AR feed ramps
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »
Ok . some say M4 feed ramps are not needed , some say only on a full auto , some say it was a ploy by Colt to extend their pattent but most agree on a 6.8spc it is a help. Any one have any thoughts ? I have a 6.8 with standard feed ramps and it is having issues feeding  . I am trying different mags now . The issue is when feeding the round will wedge tip aginst the bbl. at the mouth of the chamber and force the side of the round into the bolt extension hard enough to cut into the brass . The mags i have so far are C-product 10 round and 17 round (  i think) . I just read on another site that the 17 round springs are to weak and need to be replaced with 30 round springs . I will try this since i have the springs on hand .
 What happens the round closest to the ejection port never feeds the other side feeds about 50% of the time . The 10 round mags work about 40 % of the time .
 Ant ideas would be nice.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: AR feed ramps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
BTW 115gr.  remington FMJ bullets and Hornady 110 gr. plastic tip bullets have been tried . So far that's all I can find. local.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:19:57 AM »
I know that alot of the feeding problems i had with the 762x39 were simular and bushmaster did some polishing of my feed ramp and that helped. What really was the trick though was replacing my mag springs with wolf extra power ak47 springs.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:58:53 AM »
Thanks , I will try that . I have also heard to replace the 20 round mag spring with 30 round mag springs .
That step in the feed ramps bothers me though.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
Well I got intouch with the builder of the upper Tony's Uppers. He took the gun and cleaned up the chamber and drilled the gas port . Said when he ordered the bbls he got the port drilled to small. The 6.8 is less pressure . I took the gun home and run 2 ten round mags thru. both failed to lock up on the 8th round . Since this in not more than 20 rounds thru. the gun and only a tap on the FA was needed i will think it needs break in.
 That said i will admit the ramps on the reciver had nothing to do with the function on the 6.8 since they are to low to influnce the round. We live and learn . Now to zero and hunt  ;D