Author Topic: Cutting a 20 gauge barrel  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Cutting a 20 gauge barrel
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »
I am interested in making a shorty shotgun to go with my shorty 357.  I have a case that has a barrel pocket that needs filled and this would round out a great truck gun.  My question is how to go about re-choking it.  Primary use would be a knock around gun to take squirrel hunting and the like.  I would like to know how to add my own choke to the barrel.  I have heard about jug choking and taper choking.  Other than their names and a general idea how they work, i have no clue how to go about creating them.  My dad had an old poly choke on a single shot winchester that I really liked, but all the ones I see now screw in.  If I could find a solder on, i would go that route. 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Cutting a 20 gauge barrel
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »
If it were me, I'd probably at least get a quote from a smith.  You will need the bead re-drilled and tapped, unless you are going to solder on a set of sights.  It might be nicer, however, to get pricing on tapping for a screw in if there's enough material.  Depending on the length you're doing, it might be possible.  That'd even let you remove the choke or put a very open choke in it for buckshot/slugs.  Just some thoughts.  8)  I've never dealt with jug chokes. 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:28:13 AM »
I had a barrel cut, the bead reinstalled and choke tubes added for $50 shipped. Each choke tube was an additional $20.  I thought that was a pretty good price.
Tony212

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:58:48 AM »
I cut my Pardner 20ga. down and added a set of rifle sights to it. I cut it at 20" and recrowned it... I haven't patterned it yet but I did knock a red squirrel out of a tree with it a couple days ago... he was about 40 feet up and it peppered him pretty good. :)
I've cut down 4 or 5 Pardners and they still shoot pretty good even with no choke. They shoot slugs really well after they're cut down too.

Spanky

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 02:25:23 AM »
It's been my experience that a shotgun with an extremely short barrel is not useful as a traditional bird gun anymore, I can't hit anything with them. So instead of thinking of them as serious hunting guns I consider them as self defense/ survival tools. For that use no choke is not a bad option. If you want to defend yourself at across the room distances, no choke will give you a little spread to increase your chances of a hit. No choke also usually shoots slugs a little better.

While not much use in killing flying birds at 30 or even 20 yards, a short shotgun without a choke could still be a great help in keeping yourself fed in a bad situation. Instead of acting like a gentileman sportsman when you are hungry, you sneak up on your potential food as close as you can. If it flushes within 10 yards, then you have a good chance of bagging it. Better yet you ground sluice your birds. If you are hunting to eat, maybe the best choice would be to quit shooting at flying birds and save your shells for sitting birds or rabbits. You don't need much choke to be a killer rather than a sportsman. 

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:40:01 AM »
Tony, will you share you source?  That sounds like a good price. 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 04:39:48 AM »
Sure, I'll private message you.
Tony212

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
I cut my Pardner 20ga. down and added a set of rifle sights to it. I cut it at 20" and recrowned it... I haven't patterned it yet but I did knock a red squirrel out of a tree with it a couple days ago... he was about 40 feet up and it peppered him pretty good. :)
I've cut down 4 or 5 Pardners and they still shoot pretty good even with no choke. They shoot slugs really well after they're cut down too.

Spanky

Diddo that. They shoot slugs Real well ;D Plus for a pack gun it work well.. Search the Web a little and you will find good chokes that are adjustable and fit the bill nicely.

-Aaron