Author Topic: 500 S&W FTX  (Read 1230 times)

Offline michaelt454

• Trade Count: (0)
500 S&W FTX
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
Anyone loading this bullet and know if the case has to be trimmed for use in the Handi?

Thanks, Michael T.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 500 S&W FTX
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »
500S&W barrels have pretty deep throats like most H&Rs, here's a pic of a 700gr RR loaded to reach the lands in mine(left), you won't have a problem with the "little" 500gr FTX, and I don't think the brass is short on that ammo since it doesn't have to cycle thru an action like on a lever gun, I've used Hornady brass before, it's not shorter, but is thinner than Starline.  :D

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:33 AM »
Standard case length is fine.  The FTXs shoot pretty accurately for me over Lil Gun.

Offline michaelt454

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
Thanks Tim you are always very knowledgeable.

Michael T.

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Standard case length is fine.  The FTXs shoot pretty accurately for me over Lil Gun.

+1

I've had very similar results.  Though my gun likes em hot.  The higher I keep going the more accurate it is.  I've reached the point to were I've hit the max on the Hornady sheet, but the gun still wants more...

With that being said, the standard case length will be fine for any application.  Revolver/lever/Handi.

Offline michaelt454

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:43:27 AM »
I've had lots of luck with Lil'Gun and all of the Barnes bullets, the 275's over 43 grains are especially accurate and clock 2350 fps out of my rifle.  I don't really have a need for another bullet with the 275 and 375 grn Barnes but I figured I would try some of the FTX.  The 375 grain Barnes shoot well but have a lot lower point of impact than the 275's (~6'' at 50 yards).  I'm hoping the FTX will shoot closer to the same POI as the 275's.

Michael T

Offline michaelt454

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
It has been awhile since I've been on the forum but these pop-up ads are driving me apey.  Is CW Longshot still around?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
What pop-ups??  :D See the Forum Support forum, lots of discussion with some help.

CW checks in once in a while this time of year, but he has other toys he plays with now, he posted here a week ago or so.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
I've had lots of luck with Lil'Gun and all of the Barnes bullets, the 275's over 43 grains are especially accurate and clock 2350 fps out of my rifle.  I don't really have a need for another bullet with the 275 and 375 grn Barnes but I figured I would try some of the FTX.  The 375 grain Barnes shoot well but have a lot lower point of impact than the 275's (~6'' at 50 yards).  I'm hoping the FTX will shoot closer to the same POI as the 275's.

Michael T

Michael T, I don't mean to hijack this thread but have you tried any reduced loads in your 500 S&W with the Barnes 275 gr bullet? I am currently shooting the Federal Premium load, which according to the box states a MV of 1667 fps, though I don't know if that's from a revolver. I've not yet shot this load over the chrono but it does everything I need it to do. However, it's very expensive. So, I'm looking to reload and want to keep it light. Thanks.

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »
Are you looking for a reduced load for hunting or plinking?  I know the Barnes bullets tend to need to be pushed a bit to perform right.  So going light on them may not be the best for hunting.

I believe the velocity on the box is out of a revolver, probably a 8 3/8s or 10 inch barrel.

If you're going to reload for shooting paper, you might want to go with a less expensive bullet, like a PB lead bullet.  Those barnes bullets are around a buck a piece.  Maybe cheaper than the box stuff, but you can find much cheaper if you're just plinking around.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »
Dill 45,

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The reloads will be strictly for hunting, since as you've noted, they are expensive. My Handi is scary accurate with the Fed ammo with Barnes' 275 gr XPB. Since it's not screaming out of the barrel and since the recoil is easy to manage (not to mention it has thus far worked great on deer), I wanted to keep about the same MV. I'm assuming that in my Handi this ammo is probably doing around 1800 fps MV but I won't know for sure until I shoot it over the chrony, which I hope to do soon.

Offline michaelt454

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 05:52:16 AM »
Retsof,

The Federal factory loads with the 275's clock at about 2000 fps from my rifle.  These loads are also very accurate out of my rifle, but I see no reason to load them lighter because all I do is hunt hogs with mine.  If I want to plink I will choose another caliber.  I have loaded every jacketed bullet available for the 500 except for the Remingtons and Woodleighs plus a 440 grn wfngc.  I love tinkering with this cartridge.  When I first got the rifle there was a slight burr on the barrel lug that really gave me fits but after I got that resolved (with Tim's help) it was a lot more consistent and predictable.  This cartridge gets very little recognition for its capabilities out of a rifle.  A true .50 caliber 275 grain bullet at almost 2400 fps is no slouch from any cartridge, especially a pistol cartridge.  I absolutely love my 500.  If I was going to load some lighter loads for plinking, I would probably use some of the Hornady XTP's or some lighter hard cast bullets. 

Offline michaelt454

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 06:00:06 AM »
Also I haven't broke down to buy any of the Barnes Busters yet but I suspect I will cave soon because those bullets were designed for piggies and other tough critters and I know Barnes got it right.  Look at the Barnes site http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/coming-in-2009/new-barnes-busters%E2%84%A2/ and check out the pic of Coni Brooks with the 650 lb hog taken with the 400 grn Buster from a 45/70. :o

Michael T.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 06:23:33 AM »
Michaelt454,

Thanks so much for the information. It is very helpful.

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 11:04:46 AM »
Dill 45,

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The reloads will be strictly for hunting, since as you've noted, they are expensive. My Handi is scary accurate with the Fed ammo with Barnes' 275 gr XPB. Since it's not screaming out of the barrel and since the recoil is easy to manage (not to mention it has thus far worked great on deer), I wanted to keep about the same MV. I'm assuming that in my Handi this ammo is probably doing around 1800 fps MV but I won't know for sure until I shoot it over the chrony, which I hope to do soon.

From what I've seen from just looking at the factory loadings for the 275 bullet is that the lowest muzzle velocities are around 1650 and the highest are around 2150 FPS.  So I wouldn't load it lower than 1650 FPS.  That number comes from the factory loaded Corbon and Magtech loadings of the bullet.  You could try lower, but I've heard in more than one place that bullets, even the HP's, that are solid copper take a bit more MV to expand than your tradition jacked hollow point.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
Roger that, Dill 45. My goal is to attempt to duplicate the current Federal ammo load with the 275 gr Barnes. I have an old box of this ammo, which states that the MV is  1,667 fps, but the current lots of this ammo list over 1,800 fps, presumably from a revolver length barrel. According to my figures and data I've gathered on the Barnes 275 gr XPB, a MV of 1,700 fps will allow adequate expansion up to 125 yds, which is the farthest I've ever shot a deer no matter what the caliber. The question is, "What powder to use?" According to the Barnes #4 Manual, Longshot may and Titegroup will achieve this lower MV (even considering that the Barnes data was generated in a 10" barrel but my Handi has a 22" barrel). Also, Lil Gun' may also be able to do this, though I'd have to load lower than what's in the Barnes Manual. I've only seen one source (not a loading manual) which indicates a lower starting charge of Lil Gun' with the Barnes 275gr bullet than what's in the Barnes Manual. From what I've surmised (perhaps incorrectly) is that Lil Gun' is at its best closer to the max load. So, I guess I'll just have to pick a powder and try it, which is not such a bad thing. I'm just attempting to get it right the first time around.