Author Topic: First Antelope for my son and me!  (Read 703 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
First Antelope for my son and me!
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »
My son and I finally made it out to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. I am totally hooked on western style hunting and can't wait to get out there again. We each shot a nice buck (although he will not let me forget that his is a little bigger than mine!  ;D

His was at 170 yards and he made a perfect shot after a 30-40 yard belly crawl to get in position. Dropped him in his tracks. His smile says it all. Dad was not so fortunate. First shot at 250 yds went just a little low and hit his far side front leg. When we walked up and over the last little hill he was standing there broadside at about 70 yards. He bolted and since we knew he was hit, I shot on the run (wouldn't normally take a running shot like that), and fortunately he dropped. Very exciting. 150 gr 308 makes a big exit hole in neck. Entire trip was fantastic!

Wyoming is awesome. Gotta' get back there soon.....

NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Re: First Antelope for my son and me!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
Congrats on your nice antelope,  Nothing like taking kids hunting.  My daughter shot her first goat when she was 14 (three yrs ago) and she still gets excited just telling about it.   In my opinion, an antelope is the best big game hunt for kids because you can see so many of the critters and it doesn't require that much walking.

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
Pronghorns are probably my most favorite big game hunt. Lots of fun and they are reasonably forgiving if you make a mistake. Their curosity usually gets the best of them. Screw up your stalk on mulies and elk and chances are you will never see them again. Congrats on your great trip.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 01:53:22 PM »
Thanks and congrats to your daughter too James. Now I have to figure out how to get out there again for much less money. We have some nice hunting around here but the country and the critters out there are fantastic. Next time will do it on my own, now that I know a little about antelope hunting.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)