Author Topic: 7.62 x 38mmr Nagant  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
7.62 x 38mmr Nagant
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »
I have an opportunity to obtain 4 Nagant pistols in excellent condition.  Not liking the price of factory ammo.  After researching pressure levels it appears that I may be able to cheat and use 32 H&R mag reloads.  I am thinking of trying around 100grain slug with Trail Boss.  I should be able to hold pressure down to 11000 +/-.  Can any one help with advice.  reason for trailboss is black powder velocity, pressure, and it seems to burn real clean.  This is for plinking, varmint, and teaching, not self defence.  Any thoughts on this will be welcome. 

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: 7.62 x 38mmr Nagant
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »
I had been doing some research and there are conversion cylinders out there for other .32's although I couldn't find one at this moment. 

You can shoot .32 S&W or .32 H&R Mag., however, you will not get the gas seal feature built into the design per this source anyway.  Note: I don't own or load for one, so this is just repeated information.  ;)  I'm not involved or affiliated with the site listed either.  ;)

http://www.christiangunowner.com/the-model-1895-nagant-revolver.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 04:27:35 PM »
There has been folks say that the 7.62x38 gets 1100 fps
and is close to the .32 mag in power. I would highly recommend firing
one over a chronograph yourself. Velocity is closer to 800
fps on a good day. Firing 32 mag. in a Nagant is a VERY bad idea
if you value your fingers.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »
I don't intend to fire a full factory load 32H&R mag in a nagant.  I am intrested in a Trail Boss load at a pressure of mayby 11000 lbs in a 32 H&R mag brass case, traveling at aproximately 700 to 900 fps.  This is in line with Trail Boss loads listed at around 100 grain slug in Hodgdon's reloading.  This is somewhere between 32 S&W and 32H&R mag.  I am looking to build a plinking round to a fair degree of accuracy.  I have been offered four of these in really nice condition and they balance well in my hand.  I have been asked to take these to help cover a debt that I am willing to forgive and walk away from.  The folks that owe me won't let me write it off. 
Trail Boss seems to burn clean and if it works I won't have to try reloading a recessed round.  The Nagant was supposed to proof at over 11000 lbs easily.
Sorry I seem to be rambling,

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline blpenn66502

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
Keep in mind that the base of the Nagant cartridge is larger by at least 0.020" than the 32 H&R so you are going to get some bulging.  Keeping pressure down sounds reasonable and prudent and may help avoid excessive bulging.  I've got a Nagant but all I've fired is one box of factory Prvi Partizan and am in the process of reloading them with a set of dies I picked up from CH 4D so I've not gone the 32 S&W/H&R route yet.  I should point out converting of 32-20 brass to use in the Nagant is a more common with both Lee and RCBS making dies for that (Midsouth has a set of RCBS conversion dies on clearance right now).

The distributors were out of stock on Nagants for a while and they are just now showing up again, still I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to trade them off if you changed your mind.  Pre 1929 ones without the common Tula Star would be somewhat more desirable to some (I paid more than I probably should for a 1905 mfg).  Also some of the earlier imports had the import marking on the barrel instead of prominently on the side of the frame, also somewhat more desireable.