Author Topic: Chipped lens from ring marks  (Read 401 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Chipped lens from ring marks
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
Bought a $15 Tasco, 3x-9x Supercon Omni View yadda yadda yadda. Put it on a gun, fiddled with adjustments, and noticed a large chip or debris when looking through the scope. Internal. Took the scope off the rings and noticed an indentation on the tube that matched the chip. Wasn't me I think; I had the scope all the way back in the rings because it has relatively little eye relief. Odd that I did not notice it before I bought it. No biggie, I was just going to throw it on a .22.

But then I noticed that I only see the chip when the scope is at 3x. 4x-9x is fine.

Why is that?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Chipped lens from ring marks
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »
Wider field of view.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Chipped lens from ring marks
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:37:12 PM »
Unscrew the eye bell and see if you can shake the chips out and clean it up.  If you get the loose parts out it will probably be fine, plus, you will get to see what it looks like inside.  If that works, just spray some of the compressed keyboard/duster gas in the scope and screw it back together and things will work fine.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.