Author Topic: TRADGETY STRIKES  (Read 865 times)

Offline WD45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
TRADGETY STRIKES
« on: January 13, 2004, 04:02:52 AM »
Accidents do and can happen so it is with great sadness that a friend of mine lost his life over the weekend. He was hunting in a wildlife management area that allows climbers only and some how managed to hang himself 30 feet up in a tree tangled in his safety harness.  When we arrrived at the scene the police had the area quarinteened and we still have no report from the police as to what may have happened other than how he was found in  the tree.  He had a wife and a 9 month old baby :cry:  :cry:
I post this a safety warning to all those who use tree stands and especially climbers to please think about how saftey harnesses are attached and that your stand is secure. Please be careful climbing and getting in and out of your stand. People get complacent and think since nothing has happened to them yet that nothing will. I understand that there is no way to prevent all accidents from happening but just a little extra thought or a double check may keep another wife and baby from losing a husband and father.

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 04:10:02 AM »
:cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline Quadzillabill

TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 05:51:25 AM »
That is simply awful.  My thoughts and prayers to the family.

The question in tree stands is not IF you are going to fall, but WHEN - and will you have your harness on properly when it happens.

Everyone with a lot of time in the trees has lost their balance and gotten a little shook up - its a fine line.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 06:58:59 AM »
My thoughts and prayers to you and the family. be safe
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Slug-Gunner

WHERE & WHEN?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 07:53:06 AM »
What WMA/state and when did this happen.... can you provide more info?
 :(  :eek:  :cry:
HUNT SAFELY - THINK AT ALL TIMES!

Offline bmize

TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 12:16:08 PM »
A friend of mine also died jan 4 this year, fell from 35ft did not have his harness attached to the tree while still climbing. It appears he was adjusting the cable and the bottom shifted.  Had his 6yo son with him but back at the camp house. His wife and 12yo were in CO with other faimly. This happened in Walker Co, Alabama. He had been hunting for 20 years and was very well educated. Like you said it is going to happen sooner or later.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 01:13:12 PM »
Very sad, my heart goes out to his family.

Offline Dave in WV

TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 01:41:24 PM »
I'm sorry for your and his family's loss. My family's prayers are with you.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline jhm

TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 08:07:15 PM »
Prayers from my family to theirs.   JHM

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 01:11:32 AM »
:( So sorry to hear of this tradgedy.Do you know if he was using a harness?I remember a few years back when most everyone was using a safety belt,It was just wraped around your belly area.Back then I had heard many reports of guys that were strangled by this belt.They would fall and not have the strength to pull thier self up and would suffocate.Treestands are nothing to play with.One of my best buddies is paralized from the waist down due to a fall from an old permanent stand that was too rotted to climb...but he did.This friend of mine did two tours of duty in Vietnam was shot there and survived,but came home and fell out of this tree.A terrible shame! :(
God bless this man and his family.Dont become a statistic.BE SAFE

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
TRADGETY STRIKES
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 11:19:30 PM »
So very sorry to hear of the lost of two  fellow hunters;but more important  the lost of two fathers and husbands.My heart goes out to both families. :cry:                       Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"