Author Topic: stock refinishing  (Read 629 times)

Offline kaveman

• Trade Count: (7)
stock refinishing
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:13:32 AM »
Does anyone know what over the counter stain will match the pallet wood stocks, the factory color looks like a walnut finish, I have a stock that I stripped down and want to match the schnabel forend. thanks in advance
                                                                       Kaveman

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: stock refinishing
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
Trying to match that forearm will be difficult. H&R uses a stain which is really part of the finish coat and primarily lies on top of the wood. The newer "pallet wood" stocks are beech or birch and take oil based stain very poorly. I suggest to get them to match you strip the forearm as well, then start by staining them both with a water based or alcohol based stain (I use water based Minwax Rosewood stain).  You may have to put on two coats of water based stain to get close to what you want. Then remove the fine raised whiskers of wood the water based stain will have raised by VERY LIGHTLY sanding with 220 or finer sandpaper and perhaps follow that with 4/0 steel wool. Follow those coats of stain with an appropriate coat of oil based stain (something like Minwax oil based Dark walnut or Special Walnut will work fairly well to achieve the walnut color you want. Smooth and apply finish of your choice.
Good luck, take your time and don't rush!!! If in doubt, experiment, then report here, it's how we all learn, and HAVE FUN!!!....<><....:)     
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kaveman

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: stock refinishing
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:04:03 PM »
MSP ret, thanks for the reply, I wouldnot have thought of the waterbased rosewood stain as a base layer followed by oilbase walnut, as advised I will take it slow and report back on my success. The stock in question was a bubba project, somebody decided to shorten the stock using a sawzall bubba didnot even remove the buttplate and cut right thru the screws, the result was an s shaped cut on a 45 degree angle, I was able to true up the cut on my miter saw and the length of pull is 10.5 inches and I will add a recoil pad, should be about right for my 9 yearolds 20 gauge youth gun. MSP RET I have seen many examples of youre stock work on this forum and you truly have a gift, thanks again for sharing youre knowledge it is truly appreciated
                                                                     Kaveman