Author Topic: Got a new BC, have some questions  (Read 327 times)

Offline DanM1

• Trade Count: (0)
Got a new BC, have some questions
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
Howdy all....First post. I spend some time on the cast boolit forum, and several members mentioned this forum for H&R info. Could not pass on this rifle. A Buffalo Classic has been on my wish list for a long time, and the price ($290), location (FTF), and condition (NIB) of this one were all just right. Rifle actually looks better in person. Here are some pictures from the GB auction:

I have a passion for C&R military rifles, cast for all of mine, and like to shoot them at meduim speeds, around 1800-2200fps. These are all little caliber rifles, from 6.5x55 up to  8x57R. This 45-70 will be the fattest rifle caliber in my stable, and I don't expect anything like the velocity I get with the small stuff. Haven't gathered any of the necessary tools yet. Am looking at some die sets on GB, and will likely get some cases at the Hickory show if not sooner. I have no problems with Lee molds, and expect I will start with their 405gr FP plain base bullet, and maybe their pointy 500gr PB.  Have heard that these rifles prefer a hard cast bullet which works for me. Something about the shallow rifling makes hard bullets work better, or so I have heard. Am using homemade lube, sort of a LithiWannaBee formula, that is good for most any velocity. I rarely shoot jacketed bullets, and this rifle may never have one down it's tube. My first question involves the trigger. This H&R doesn't have the nice 3lb trigger that I have heard about.  It breaks clean at 5lbs, which is not too bad, but I have done trigger jobs on most of my rifles, and like them at around 3lbs or a little less. Looking at the pins on this one, I think I see little serrations that I am not used to. Anything I should know about before I start in on them? I will do a chamber and muzzle cast soon, but am wondering what diameter cast bullets seem to work best for most. I do need to order a custom sizer, or maybe hone out a Lee .457" to whatever works best. Umm, haven't even fired this baby yet. I may break down and get some factory ammo, just for something to shoot thru it. So, you kinda see where I am comming from, and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated....
DanM

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Got a new BC, have some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:41:14 PM »
Well, welcome to GBO and nice rifle.  I have the same rifle and took a deer earlier and it anchored it in is spot.  I highly recommend Reloader7 Powder as with the really long barrel, you can get the most from a slow burner.  It works well in shorter barreled versions also.  I have ladder tested mine and found that 46-47 gr. RL7 with Hornady 300 gr. HP (what I took the deer with) or the FTX's are awesome.  I intend to do more with cast, but have had a few issues finding a bullet mine likes, although I don't mold yet.  I intend to really work on that more next year as deer season snuck up on me too fast.  lol  Anyway, 50 gr. Reloader7 also worked excellent, but definitely pushes hard.  The nice thing about the slow burner is it is more of a push than a kick.  If I'm standing shooting it and don't stay loose, it'll push me back on my heels a bit.  The leads I have tried were small at 350gr. and most shoot 405's or bigger.  Just keep in mind that many (mine included) are short throated and if you want to keep your leads outta the rifling, you will need to set them deeper.  I was using the short Hornady Brass with the 350's to keep it just off the rifling.  All my other loadings are done with Starline Brass and CCI Large Rifle primers.  My best groups have been with the 46.7gr, but your experience may vary.  If you want to do a trigger job, or other tuning, I highly recommend reading the FAQ available at the top of this forum.  I'm sure many others will chime in also as there are a lot of .45-70 lover's here.  ;)

***edit***
Oh, and there are also some links on reamer rentals to increase the throat depth.  I just haven't ever done much metal work and cannot really afford to screw mine up.  lol  ;)

***edit2***
Figured I'd mention up front that you have to watch the heat really close with Handi's as they will start spraying in many cases.  There are some mods in the FAQ for o-rings etc also.  I've found that for now, I just keep my screw backed out about 1/8" and pull the leading edge down to remove pressure, until I get to modifying it.  8)  I haven't lost the screw yet, so good to go for now.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline DanM1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Got a new BC, have some questions
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:19:13 AM »
Good info on the R7. I have most of a pound in my powder locker and will try it first. I will read the FAQ posts today....DanM