Author Topic: Sea Island cannon  (Read 660 times)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Sea Island cannon
« on: October 09, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »
Vacationed and fished on the Sea Islands of South Carolina the last week. Found a cannon on Edisto that was dug up locally in what seems to have been a small battery protecting SC from the Spanish.  For years the tube was so encrusted you couldn't really tell much. This year to my surprise the owner had removed much of the rust and crud then painted the tube.  Most markings are poor but it does have three sighting groves on the muzzle and breech and an arrow on the tube.  A quarter placed in the bore gives some idea of bore size.  British?  Model?

America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Sea Island cannon
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »
Pictures?

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
Quite a nice cannon & actually in pretty fair condition for its age & what it has been through. It is a British piece, with the Crown over GR (George Rex) & I believe there is the numeral 3, rather than 2, entwined in that cypher denoting King George the 3rd. 
I think that the cannon is of the Armstrong-Frederick Pattern of 1760 (A.B. Caruana, Vol II, Chapter 4) - calibre is difficult to determine without measurements, I would suggest probably a 9pr & maybe even a 12pr. Thanks for posting.
Adrian.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »
Hello,Adrian; haven't heard from you for a while.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:16:53 PM »
Nice to see someone took the time to clean it up and paint it,

Not to get off topic but a question for Adrien, were you the one looking for photo's of original British military priming horns for artillery?
if so I have my friends horn just need to find a little time for photo's

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 02:39:19 AM »
Hi Boom J, I've been pretty busy but still visit this site quickly most days.

Yes Allen I'm still working on a study of British military powder horns & am certainly interested if you can post an image or three of your friend's artillery horn.
Best regards
Adrian

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 12:59:49 PM »
...calibre is difficult to determine without measurements, I would suggest probably a 9pr & maybe even a 12pr.

The quarter in the third picture is around 30 pixels wide, while the bore is around 164 pixels. Since American quarters are .955" in diameter, that works out to a bore diameter of 5.22 inches. I'm guessing it's an 18 pounder since they should have a bore of 5.29 inches.

Although, perspective might have thrown my calculations off.  ???

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »
Jeff I think you are correct, it certainly looked at least 5 inches in bore.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens