Author Topic: drawing tubing in a reloading press  (Read 822 times)

Offline skiley

• Trade Count: (0)
drawing tubing in a reloading press
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
i know this is not reloading related,i make bamboo fly rods and have this crazy idea of converting a reloading press to sink nickel silver tubing for the ferrules i make,right now i use a 3 ton arbor press and it has more than enugh power but with a reloading press i think i can push the punch through the die and strip off the cup on the down stroke,i need a press with a 4"throw ,the material has a wall thickness of about .015,my dies are 1.25 od and .750 tall,was looking at the co-ax press but the co.could not tell me if it had enough power,do you think im nuts or can this be done,thanks,steve

Offline wncchester

Re: drawing tubing in a reloading press
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
If Forster can't tell you I doubt any of us can.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 03:37:11 PM »
     Steve,  dont really get what your askin , but i have had a few glasses of wine ect, and say HuH !!
I love you briother !!  Lets tryu this again !!   :D
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline skiley

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »
i guess i am asking if a reloading press could do this and what type of press would work,i can modifiy the od of my dies as they have cold rolled bodies with carbide insertes thanks ,steve

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »
I can resize 25 cal brass to 20 cal in one easy pass, I think most any press will have the ability.  I have an old steel Herters C press and it has a throw of 3 1/2 inches on the ram.  A press for a 50 BMG would probably have more throw.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline skiley

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
thanks for the help,i also looked at some posts for resizing cases and it seems i will be abel to do this,also it might be a way to make jackets for swaging,will let you know how it turns out,steve

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »
Some of the older Herter presses have a removeable insert for the dies that let a larger diameter die be used instead of the modern ones.  Take a look on Ebay, these are mostly cast iron, so are plenty strong.  Larry

http://cgi.ebay.com/HERTERS-SUPER-MODEL-3-CAST-IRON-RELOADING-PRESS-/230535162105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35acf768f9
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:12:41 AM »
I believe the outside diameter of your dies, 1 1/4" is too large for most standard reloading presses. Most use 7/8-14 threaded dies. Not suer of the largest diameter for a 50 Cal reloading press...

Offline skiley

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:37:52 PM »
you are right,the normal 7/8 die holders would not work,but i can machine a lip and reduce most of the body to fit the co-ax,any other press would have to be able to take the 1-1/2" 50 bmg dies so i can make a holder to fit my dies,thanks,steve

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
Most presses with the removable 7/8-14 threaded insert are 1.25-12 I measured the the throw on a RCBS Rockchucker its about 3.6 I'd call Lee The classic cast should work

Offline skiley

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »
thanks,just took a look at the lee classic cast,looks like just the thing i need,with out the 7/8 insert it is threded for 1 1/4,just have to thread the outside of my 1 1/4" dies and im in busieness.i can modifie ejector or knock out pins for my punches,thanks again,steve