Author Topic: Finally got it!!  (Read 535 times)

Offline dlariscey

• Trade Count: (0)
Finally got it!!
« on: October 14, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »
     Finally got my handi in 30-30.  Took it to a friend of mine who runs a small gun shop.  Tore the gun down cleaned and oiled the barrell, reciever, and action.  Gave the bore a good squirt of remington xp-40 ran a bore brush down it a few time swabbed it clean with some bulk patches.  Then I gave it a good soaking with remington oil and swabbed it clean again with bulk patches.  Then for the scope.
     I was in a rush getting out of the house and grabbed the first scope I saw in my gun locker.  I knew I had a scope in the locker I had bought to put on my 03-a3 but sold the rifle before I put the scope on it.  So with rifle in the cleaning rest base in place and leveled time to put on the scope.  Went to put on the scope and the rings on the scope would not fit the base.  My friend looked at the rings and made the commit that it had a set of .22 rings on it.  So he dug out a set of rings he had in the back and we were in business.  Got the scope on the Rifle it is a center point 3-9x32 mil dot recticle.  Got the scope in place.  The scope would not work because the hammer was striking the scope.  So I took my handy dandy dremil tool and took two lines off the hammer.  Got the hammer ground and polished and reblued.  Put the scope back on and got it bore sighted.  Then to the range.
     Noticed when I got to the shooting table I had to put my eye real close to the scope which was kind of an unnatural shooting position.  Also noticed I could not get the scope to completly focus at 50yards however I would not be detered.  My first three shot group was three inches right and about three inches high with about a two inch group.  Not to shabby.  After that I adjusted and started working in the zero.  I did notice that the recoil was stiff.  Took several three shot gruops to get it zeroed at fifty.  Got a three shot 1.5 inch group dead center at fifty yards.  Then moved the zero on the scope so I would be shooting two inches high at 50 and right on at 100.  Next three shot group was two inches right and strung verticle over about a six inch string.  Needless to say I got real confused and mad.  Also sore that thirty thirty with the ackward shooting position was kicking the hell out of me and i'm no little guy i'm only 5'8 but i'm about 260.  I don't remember my 45-70 kicking me that hard.  So I put the gun up for the night.
     Today I went in my gun locker and was looking for a fine grit diamond stone to sharpen a knife before I went to my friend's to continue work on the handi and noticed a long dark shape in the back corner of the gun cabinet.  So i pulled it out and it was a neopreme scope case containing a 4-16x40 light up mildot reticle scope.  The scope I had put on the handi was a center point scope I got with a pellet gun I bought at walmart about two years ago and did not use.  Man did I feel like a moron.  So the proper scope is on the rifle but I did not have a chance to fire it yet.  The ammo I used was remington corelok 150 grn.  When I make it back to the range I'll let you guys know how it goes.   

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
Re: Finally got it!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:38:38 PM »
hard to beat a 3030 handi , glad you got it  have fun

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
I've only shot a Handi 30-30 one time and it was with some fairly hot 170 grain reloads.  I was alternating shooting the 30-30 and a 45/70 Handi (factory Rem 405 SPs).  I thought the recoil of the 30-30 was much less than the 45/70.  I was shooting both with iron sights and the same receiver & stock set, I was swapping barrels back and forth.  Since you have shot a 45-70 (was it a Handi or something else) I am curious why your 30-30 kicks so much?  Maybe just the position you had to shoot it because of the air rifle scope?

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline dlariscey

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »
Yes is was the shooting position.  I was 16 when I had the 45-70 and I never payed attention to the recoil back then.  When I was shooting the 30-30 it felt like I was stretched out shooting a bow thats why it was beating the fool out of me.  Both rifles are handi rifles.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »
     Finally got my handi in 30-30.  Took it to a friend of mine who runs a small gun shop.  Tore the gun down cleaned and oiled the barrell, reciever, and action.  Gave the bore a good squirt of remington xp-40 ran a bore brush down it a few time swabbed it clean with some bulk patches.  Then I gave it a good soaking with remington oil and swabbed it clean again with bulk patches....

.....   Next three shot group was two inches right and strung verticle over about a six inch string.  Needless to say I got real confused and mad. 

Congrats on the new 30-30, they're one of the most accurate H&R's made, factory or handloads, mine shoots the 150gr Rem ammo extremely well.  ;) Read the Handi Basics 101 sticky on how to care for and shoot an H&R,  oil on the latch and or shelf will raise havoc with accuracy, vertical stringing specially, you don't want any oil on them or any part of the frame or barrel that can run down onto them, that includes the extractor housing in the underlug. Use a dry lube on the frame components except the latch which needs no oil, or use an oil that drys to form a protective film. ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dlariscey

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:48:36 PM »
Forgot to mention in the earlier post when I checked the rifle this morning every ring on the rifle was loose.

Thanks Tim I've read the faq about 5 times already and man thats good reading.  Like a good book every time I read it I see something I've missed.  When I lubricated the rifle I sprayed the barrel then wiped it down very throughly.  The same with the reciever before I put the rifle back together.  I think the inaccuracy issues I can blame the scope for and to be honest by the time I got the end of the box of shells I was flinching.  I don't normally flinch but all I've shot the past few years is 5.56 and 7.62x39 in three gun competitions.  The shooting position was bad.  I shoot a remington 870 homedefense with a 20inch barrel in three gun and even with slugs it didn't kick like the hadi.  I ran out of core loks Tim but I bought all the federal 150 jacked soft points(five boxes) if nothing else when I shoot these up i'll have 120 pieces of brass to reload and play with and my friend has a recipe he shoots through his marlin 336 he gets .75 to 1 inch groups at 100 yards that I gonna give a try.  Next shooting session I'll try to get some pics to post.

Thanks guys.
Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
Forgot to mention in the earlier post when I checked the rifle this morning every ring on the rifle was loose.

As the new saying goes.....Well there's your problem!!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »
If you are going to shoot a lot with the 30-30, using cast would save you a pile of money. Hard cast can be loaded up to about the same velocity as the jacketed stuff.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.