Author Topic: Tracker II reflex red dot madness!  (Read 541 times)

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Tracker II reflex red dot madness!
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »

It seems that a Mosin Nagant does not have enough recoil to trash a cheap Chinese reflex sight,so Im going to have to try something with a little more oompff. I took the sight leaf off the rear sight of my tracker II slug gun. I then took a steel weaver rail base like you would use on a rifle and cut it down so it fit in the groove in the rear sight with a dremel tool. This took a while,it was very very hard steel. I then lined up one of the holes with the threaded hole for the adjustment screw and marked where the hole needed to be drilled for the roll pin that held the front of the blade on. When I cut the mount I made sure there was a little roundness to the surface where it meets the sight mount so that it would rock very very slightly forward and back. I made sure it rocked fully forward when I marked the hole for the pin. Again,the steel was so hard I had to use a cobalt drill bit and it took about 15 minutes to drill through it. Other drill bits just went dull without hardly scratching it. Once I was done cutting and filing I took a steel brush on the dremel and stripped the remaining finish and smoothed out a few scratches and rubbed it with Brownells Oxpho Blue (which worked perfectly I might add,unlike some of the other brands I have tried) I then put the pin in and put a allen head screw into the one threaded hole. That rocked the base back,tightening it against the pin now its rock solid. Finally,I mounted my cheap Chinese reflex sight. If it works well and the mount does not work loose,I will put a Burris Fastfire or similar small reflex sight on it.I plan on taking it to the range this weekend and trying it out.