Author Topic: Setting bullet  (Read 510 times)

Offline theduke

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Setting bullet
« on: October 15, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »
Is there a easy way to adjust bullet seating depth using rcbs die and how do you adjust without going to much.  Hard to get just right on setting depth of bullet seating.  thanks

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
Re: Setting bullet
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
slowly using a set of calipers then snug down the locking nut. You also could take and adjust your die as instructed,lock tighten the large nut then back out your seating rod,place a loaded factory round or a properly measured round in the shell holder and raise the round slowly all the way up into the die,then turn your seating rod down until you feel it touch the bullet then snug up the small nut and it should be good to go.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
I run the die out so it barely seats the bullet and then set my caliper to the length I want and tighten the die down gradually till it matches.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »
I like to keep the die just off the case neck, (I don't crimp), so I lower the die till it just contacts an empty case then back off a 1/4 turn and lock the big die nut to the press.
Then to get a fine adjustment, I hold a blade tip screw driver in the adjustment stem first, then use a 7/16 open end wrench on the seating stem lock nut, (the knurled nut stays snug in place on top of the die). You don't need  gorilla tight here, just snug does the trick, if the knurled knob and the stem nut move together you have those too tight, loosen them from each other and tighten the knurl knob into the die

Loosen the nut while holding the screwdriver still, the 1/4x28 threads on the adjustment stem means you will move the bullet seat contact by .040 per one full turn of the stem, the key is to keep an eye on that slot on top of the stem. If you don't have a screwdriver in it when you tighten the lock nut it'll turn with the nut. A 1/4 and 1/8 (or less) turn of that seating stem is a make or break for adjustment.
An olde school trick is to place a small rubber "O" ring between the knurled nut and the stem lock nut,,it allows the stem to flex a bit and stay straight when seating the bullet,,or not be crooked because of the nut threads being a bit off
found elsewhere

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »
All good instructions above. On my RCBS dies, I file a  small bit off one corner of the screwdriver slot on the seater stem so its easier for me to tell how much its turned. Otherwise I pretty much follow how previous posters do it. I usually just finger tighten my seater stems. I have to watch it tho as I have had them work loose in long loading sessions; in those cases I might tighten the stem a bit more firmly. I usually don't crimp with the seater die any more. For 30-30 and others I use a Lee Factory crimp -so I don't fool with the seater once its set in the press. Note, the instructions that come with the dies are very good for setting them up.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »
necchi   An olde school trick is to place a small rubber "O" ring between the knurled nut and the stem lock nut,,it allows the stem to flex a bit and stay straight when seating the bullet,,or not be crooked because of the nut threads being a bit off

necchi:  I like your "O" ring hint, I will give it a try the next time I am setup to load.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »
 Got the tip here from someone, then a few weeks later I was at a gun show and struck up a conversation with a few Gents at a bench piled with loading equipment,,
,,When I asked about the O ring, they looked at me amazed that I didn't "know" that it worked, so the idea has been around 30-40 years >,
 I'm learning neck tension and more so runout seams to be the big issue when you want to really dial in even off the shelf Hunting guns (all I own), so anything that can help keep that bullet concentric is a plus in my book.
 I only load for 4 guns, and the 2 new RCBS dies I have Did benefit from the O ring, the 3rd is a very old 30-06 from a gun show, and could use some new parts (I'm not loading for that gun this year so it's shelved).
 I do have one Lee die I got new for my 308, and I'm still not real sure if I like the Lee set up, it works but it's like I'm switching gears to use it,, just a different technique,,
found elsewhere