Author Topic: Cold weather shooting. Hand warming?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Cold weather shooting. Hand warming?
« on: November 22, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
I've always avoided target shooting in cold weather because my hands cool off so much that I lose trigger control for precision shooting. Have you seen any good ideas for keeping hands working in cold temps?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Cold weather shooting. Hand warming?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:12:56 AM »
I have thin leather (goat skin I believe) gloves lightly insulated with thinsulate that I use. I believe Cabela's sells them. I use them when it's cold enough that my regular uninsulated shooting gloves aren't enough. Of course temps here in Bama don't get all that bad most of the time and when it's truly ugly cold I stay home.

I do shoot skeet thru winter tho so need them some days. I hunted ONCE on a day in the low to mid teens with high winds and snow on the ground. I was in a tree stand and I think I had all the clothes I owned on that day. I had thin shooting gloves like above inside mittens and also used a hand blanket at times. With it all I was only barely able to bear the conditions.

I saw one lousy deer that turned back I think when it saw me take off the hand blanket. I got down right after that and promised myself to never again hunt in such conditions. I hunt for enjoyment not for the need of meat so iffen it ain't fun why do it?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
i have strechy wool gloves that are very thin and I just wear them under work or shooting gloves.
Nice and warm.
Other than that you may want to bring one of the chemical hand warmers, the ones you shake.  Stick it in an old terry cloth towl you have folded on the bench and stick your hands in them for bench shooting.
For skeet, trap, sporting clays.- Wear two pair of gloves- thin shooting gloves under heavier hunting style and simply remove heavy glove when it is your turn to shoot in sporting clays and for trap and skeet, put it on when the round is done.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:46:48 AM »
Use your barrel.  Pretty simple really....
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 08:10:31 AM »
For hunting I use a pair of glomitts with a pair of body armor light gloves inside.  I also put a chemical hand warmer in the mitten part of the gromits.  Fingers stay nice and warm and if a shot opportunity  occurs I just flip back the mitten part of the glomitts and take the shot.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:07:25 AM »
It's not good at minus 20 deg F but I use deerskin gloves, like the ones available at Cabelas and cut of the trigger finger and thumb for the rght hand. With the rest of the hand warm the thumb and trigger finger stay much warmer than with no glove at all.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:38:35 AM »
I know you said target shooting but for hunting I wear a muff strapped around my chest with a couple of hand warmers in it and thin gloves.

I have found for me the chemical warmers work better when placed on the back of my hand. The veins are close to the surface and warming them up seems to help keep the fingers warm.
You may want to give that a try. You can stuff them inside your regular gloves on the back of your hand and it won't interfere with your grip or finger movement.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?