Author Topic: Charter Arms 44?  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Charter Arms 44?
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:06 AM »
Howdy,
I'm thinking of sticking my 4-digit S&W Centennial back in the safe, but I'll miss that little revolver this summer. It goes in my pocket without needing a concealment garment. If I replace it I was thinking about a bobbed-hammer Charter Bulldog.
Has anyone here had experience with these? My last encounter was in 1975 when a buddy traded for one.

Bitterroot

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Charter Arms 44?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:59:34 PM »
Charter Arms has gone through several different owners and quality has varied quite a bit over the years. The early models were OK and folks are saying the new ones are OK, it's the in between versions you need to avoid. I have an early .44 Bulldog which is reasonably accurate and has yet to misfire but it is in no way comparable to an S&W. It's like comparing a Ford Taurus to a Mercedes Benz, both will get you to the mall but just opening the door tells you which one is built right.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
I have a 4" 44 SPL Target Bulldog that I got about 1977. It has served me well with no problems whatsoever & travels pretty much everywhere I go. I have shot it clear out to 200 meters & was surprised that it did well. I also have heard mixed results on the models made in the middle years & that the current ones are OK, but all that is second hand info. Yep, it's not a S&W, but you aren't paying for a S&W either.

My 2 cents worth.

;) ;) ;)

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »
Would you put your life on the line on a cheap set of questionable tires?  Then why put it on the line with a firearm?   Cheap may be OK for plinking but if my bacon is on the line I want something I know I can depend on…………stick with the Smith!!! ??? ???

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
I bought my first one in 1973 or 74   have had one ever since. I find them, to be entirely acceptable. I am a reloader and that helps.    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:07:46 AM »
Would you put your life on the line on a cheap set of questionable tires?  Then why put it on the line with a firearm?   Cheap may be OK for plinking but if my bacon is on the line I want something I know I can depend on…………stick with the Smith!!! ??? ???

There is quite a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive"
Just curious; have you ever owned a Charter revolver

??? ??? ???

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:18:30 AM »
the new ones G&A did a review of  and on youtube owners of that gun have done reviews of it also. I have never shot one myself but from what i have hear the new Charter Arms guns are about as good as the Taurus or Rossi.

found this review online:

Charter Arms has had bad raps back in the mid to late 1970's, since then the company has gone through chapter 11, and has been sold & has re orgenized into the fine company that it is today,with its top quality handguns, I myself after reading unlimited stories & reviews on their guns last year purchased their new BULLDOG 44 SPECIAL revolver with a 2 1/2 inch bbl 5 shot gun, I choosed their all black gun vs their ss model as this gun would be my cc gun. Well I brought the gun home & bought a few boxes of different brand fractory 44 spcl ammo to test it out with, all of the ammo functioned flawerlessy in the gun it was accurate, reliable and light weight to carry & conceal. I bought a nylon shoulder holster from a mail order catalog with a horiziontal carry position on it, this holster I use for the colder weather carry under a coat or jacket which easly concealse this gun nicely, I just reciently ordered from Charter Arms company assessories their new fobus paddle holster which is made expecially for the bulldog 44 spcl, as this holster will serve me nicely when the warmer weather comes in to conceal this gun. I now carry the gun loaded with either speer gold dots or the Hornady xdp ammo for my self defence load, I bought this gun in Gander Mountain for apx $ 325.00 plus tax at the time, and I am compleatly satisified with this gun, to defend my life on. if the need should arise. This revolver by Charter Arms is everything and more of the reviews that were given to it. It was money well spent for a conceal carry gun for every day carry, along with 2 HKS speed loaders that I use also. I do use and carry my other semi auto's at times, but now mostly carry this revolver with conferdence every day. Hope this review of the company & its revolvers help's you to deside as I did.  

Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
Wow!
That guy sure liked it. Price isn't really the object here. If I'm going to put a first-year-of-issue Centennial in the safe, I want to investigate my options for replacing it. I already have a .40 S&W Interarms Firestar that is small enough, but the revolvers seem lighter and more pocketable. When it's ninety degrees out, I don't want to have a vest to hide that square butt sticking out behind my cell-phone holster. The J-frame and its Disantis Nemesis holster fits in my pocket. The Charter .44 is on my list as it is available in stainless and in a large caliber. They are unbelievably light, too. And why not? Those are big holes bored in that gun!
I've seen the Ruger LCR and like it. The .357 Magnum version would be fine, too, but with a barrel that short the long cartridge is a bit of a waste. I just like the idea of the big chunky .44 with 245-grain SWC's coming out of that short barrel.

Bitterroot

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 07:37:02 AM »
I just picked up a .44 yesterday, one of the older blue 3" barrelled, steel framed ones.  It's the third one I have owned.  I let the other two go years ago...I won't this one.  It's a "little big gun".  Here's an article that I hope is not a "censored" site...shouldn't be.  http://www.levergun.com/articles/44_Special_Bulldog.htm
I'll probably be carrying this one with some LBT WFN's.  I have it full of 240 hollow points right now under some Unique, but I like the WFN's better for man or beast.
My recent carry guns were a S&W .40 M&P....blah.   A Kimber Pro-Carry .45 ( my full sized 1991A1 carries and feels better...I don't know why.  The Kimber dug into me in about 3 places). I like the Charter better, obviously the money wasn't the factor. So, I'll be carrying the Colt mostly, but the Charter will go into more polite places unseen.
The only S&W that would interest me right now would be a 696 also in .44 Special.
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 11:08:37 AM »
Merle, Yes I have owned .44 Bulldog for many years, it's an OK gun but since I can afford more than one I would choose the Smith model 60 in .357 over the Charter any day.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »
I have Smiths, Rugers, and and one high-end 1911, but the gun I like the best is my Charter Arms Bulldog.  Weight to power ratio is unbeatable.  Mine is one of the newer ones.  I've shot factory stuff and hot reloads aplenty.  It's as tight as when I bought it new.  I found that the front sight is for 240 grn. ammo.  I filed my sight down so the gun is dead on with 200grn factory ammo.  I trust it as much as any gun I own. It has one downside: reloading is slow because the empties won't fully eject.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »
I don't have a .44 Bull Dog but my wife carries a bobbed .38 Undercover.  It's a solid gun and good performer.  Charter Arms has very good customer service as well.  I bought her the gun for Christmas, it was used but only 3 months old.   It's original owner traded it back to the dealer toward an AR.  It shot well but the hole in the crane that the ejector passes threw seemed to be oversized and caused the ejector to bind a little bit. Did not really effect performance but it bugged me so I called Charter's CS department and explained the situation.  They took the gun back and replaced the crane at no cost and picked up the freight in both directions.  The turn around was quick too, I think I had it back in less than 3 weeks.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 01:47:15 AM »
Bob - just get a new S&W 638 and not worry about a 44.  jmtcw.

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 02:46:40 AM »
Looked at one several years ago and almost bought it until I looked at a S&W model 696 .44sp for less than $400 in excellent condition.  Bought the 696 and love it.  Probably my favorite revolver and carry it often.  Nothing against the Charter Bulldog, I just had the opportunity to buy a great gun in the S&W and took it.

oldhunter 

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
Merle, Yes I have owned .44 Bulldog for many years, it's an OK gun but since I can afford more than one I would choose the Smith model 60 in .357 over the Charter any day.

Fair enough; as long as you have owned one then you can make a valid comparison.
Many people don't like them (along with some other inexpensive brands) even though they have never owned one.

;) ;) ;)

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
Howdy,
I don't know what is meant by "inexspensive". The .44 I'm looking at is $367. That's at least better than most are going for on the auctions. The new Ruger LCR is $419. They have a S&W642 for $389. The prices are all in the same ballpark. I spent some time dry-firing it and discusssing the meruts with another guy. We still can't get over how light the Bulldog is. Of course, with five 245-gr SWC loads in the cylinder it will be considerably heavier.
Then I got sidetracked by a guy who came in with a perfect Winchester 74 .22LR rifle to posssibly trade. I didn't have enough cash on me, so I shamed him into keeping the rifle at least until his father, who gave it to him, passes from the earth. And, I left the store still thinking Bulldog at some point.

Bitterroot

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »
Merle, Are you ready for this?

I also own a Brayco 9MM, everyone knows it is a :cheap POS." but I have fired many rounds through the gun with no problem, that said, does it mean I would bet my life on it?  I don't think so.  Cheap, inexpensive or whatever you wish to call it, does not in any way mean QUALITY.  Of course any mechinical instrument is subject failure, but I feel much safer sticking with a proven product, therefore, I side with the Smith. ::)

Offline Lt Smoke

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 05:33:41 PM »
I carried a .44 special  Bulldog Pug in a holster in my body armor for many years. It has never given me an ounce of trouble. It has digested everything I have put through it. It now resides in my flyfishing vest. I trusted he then as I do now.
There allways will be hard things in your life. The only sad thing you will ever face is giving up.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »
I would get the  Model 4510 Public Defender. 45/410 that power and it's the size of a model 85.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 06:13:06 AM »
The size of an '85 Buick maybe. ;D  But seriously, the "Judge" has been discussed quite a bit here and the general consensus is that it's a silly toy, not very useful beyond muzzleblast range .
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
Howdy,
I don't know what is meant by "inexspensive". The .44 I'm looking at is $367. That's at least better than most are going for on the auctions. The new Ruger LCR is $419. They have a S&W642 for $389. The prices are all in the same ballpark. I spent some time dry-firing it and discusssing the meruts with another guy. We still can't get over how light the Bulldog is. Of course, with five 245-gr SWC loads in the cylinder it will be considerably heavier.
Then I got sidetracked by a guy who came in with a perfect Winchester 74 .22LR rifle to posssibly trade. I didn't have enough cash on me, so I shamed him into keeping the rifle at least until his father, who gave it to him, passes from the earth. And, I left the store still thinking Bulldog at some point.

Bitterroot

I have been seeing other brands of revolvers with $600 to $900 price tags, so I consider anything in the $300 t $400 range inexpensive.

:o :o :o

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »
Merle, Are you ready for this?

I also own a Brayco 9MM, everyone knows it is a :cheap POS." but I have fired many rounds through the gun with no problem, that said, does it mean I would bet my life on it?  I don't think so.  Cheap, inexpensive or whatever you wish to call it, does not in any way mean QUALITY.  Of course any mechinical instrument is subject failure, but I feel much safer sticking with a proven product, therefore, I side with the Smith. ::)

I quite agree; if you are betting your life on it - it HAS to be reliable.
If you don't have faith in your gun, you need to trade it for something else.
From my limited experience, inexpensive revolvers seem to work better than inexpensive autos.
I guess the lessor grade of internal finish makes a big difference.

:o :o :o

Offline pneuby

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:16 PM »
...I just had the opportunity to buy a great gun in the S&W and took it.

oldhunter 

OH, you flat stole that S&W, LOL! They are commanding twice as much! Good for you. I'd buy a CA before another newer model of Taurus. The older Taurus 5-shot .44Sp from several years back is not a bad piece either.

Any of the three can be a handful when shot. So, if at all possible, try to get some downrange time with one before you committ to it. ;)

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:54 AM »
I own a bulldog and have a little over 1000 rounds through it without any problems. I have ran through it just about every type of ammo you can think of and it eats it up and spits it out. I think the biggest thing with any gun that you plan on protecting your life with is to shoot it before you plan to use it. I personally will not carry a cc gun that I haven't run 500 rounds of ammo through to test the function of it. Just because it's a name brand doesn't mean that you won't have a problem with it. I shoot in a local pistol league and see a lot of Kimbers jam on people. I trust my charter bulldog to go off everytime I pull the trigger.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »
5 or 6 shooters always go bang. that why there still  very good guns and you can load some really off the wall loads.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
Charter Arms has a new one coming out. Actually, it's a re-make of the old 3" Bulldog with wooden grips.  Supposed to have a high gloss finish.  I'm getting one for sure, and stoking it with 240 grn. hardcast under about 7 grns. of Unique. 

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
They also have a rimless model in the works, to accept .40 auto and 45 acp.  Moon clips. 

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 05:19:54 AM »
That's been "in-the-works" for quite a while and nobody has seen one as yet.  Rimless cases in a revolver seems like just a pointless complication and more to go wrong. Now if they shortened the frame and cylinder to match the cartridge length it might have at least something to offer. Then if they would eliminate the swing out cylinder and build it as a solid frame that would greatly reduce the complication and the cost. Then I would buy one, otherwise I'll stick with my old .44 Bulldog. ;D