Author Topic: Wolf Shooting Shotgun Pattern  (Read 955 times)

Offline RickG55

• Trade Count: (0)
Wolf Shooting Shotgun Pattern
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »
I brought my brand new Wolf, topped with a Nikon Prostaff 2-7, to the range yesterday and today to sight it in.  I was using Pyrodex pellets (two 50-grain per load), Winchester 209 primers, and TC 240 grain sabots.  Between the two days, I fired maybe 25 rounds, and I don't think two of them hit the same place in a row.  I had this experience at the 25, 50 and 100 yard lines.  When it was consistent, it would consistently hit either high left or low right (first high left then low right).  I followed the same routine of swabbing between shots, and didn't hurry between shots, but nothing produced consistency.

My first suspect is the scope, which is brand new, but could be a lemon.  I noticed that when I was trying to adjust for windage, the first time using, say, eight clicks would produce one result, and the next time another.  For example, eight clicks at the 50 yard line would move it an inch; after that shot, another eight clicks would move it three inches.

I took the scope off and I'm going to try it with open sights, to see if I get the same results or actually start shooting consistently.  If that has no effect, I guess I have to look at ammo.  Any other suggestions?

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
Re: Wolf Shooting Shotgun Pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »
firs tof all, I would check to see of all the scope mounts are tight from the base up.  If so, my next suggestion would be that  the load you are shooting is not the best one for the gun.  No two shoot the same even if they came out of fthe factory one after the other.  I would suggest loose powder so you can adjust the load by 5 grain increments until you find the powder.  It could be any if the components you are using.  If it does not shoot well at 25 yards, I would not watse time at the 50 or 100.  Get it shooting a good group at 25 first.   
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline RickG55

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I did check all the scope mounts, and they were nice and tight.  What made me initially suspect the scope was the windage and elevation adjustments were not consistent; I almost thought there was a floating zero issue, or crosshairs problems.  I'll go with your suggestions with open sights; hopefully, it's not the scope.

Offline equinoxbuilders

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »
Hi Rick,

I just sited mine in this weekend too.  Bought a Wolf .50 Carbine for my 11yr old.
I put my Leupold 2-7 on it.  Laser bore sighted it at home at 20' away.
At the Range, set up target at 50yards.  My first shot was 1" low and 3"left.
without making any adjustments, I let my 11 yr. old shoot it. we're both using a bench.  No sandbags, but block of wood under the barrel.  My son can't hold this ML steady freehand. still too front heavy for him.
His first shot before making any adjustments was touching mine.... So far I'm impressed.
I made a scope adjustment, but went the wrong way left.  Now height is good, but 6" left.
Made another adjustment.  Bullseye. the red X in the center of the target was gone.  Threw another one down range at 50yrds and second bullet on bullseye was off .25" touching the other hole.  Now I'm impressed.
I've shot no deer here in the NorthEast Open Hardwoods further than 80yards.  I'm going to site in high one inch at 50yards next time at the range.  After seeing those shots, I wanted to stop on a good note.
I'm shooting CVA PowerBelts 245gr. hollowpoints over 80Gr. of 777 pellets. One 50grain on bottom followed by one 30grain pellet.  777 209 primers.

My Son will have to go back to using the little Rossi .45 Cal with 195Gr PowerBelts and 75gr. of 777 pellets.(I snap one 50grainer in 1/2.)  At 50 yards, it was good left to right, but 3" low.  will work on that next time.
A fine is for doing something bad.  A tax is for doing something good.  I have to stop being so good.   :grin:

Offline bubba

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:32:16 AM »
If it is the scope, and it is brand new, Nikon will make it right.  The sad part is you will have to wait for them to do so.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline RickG55

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:49:11 AM »
I no longer think it's the scope, and here's why:

I took the Wolf out yesterday without the scope, and set the target up at 25 yards.  My first shot was about eight inches above the bullseye.  I moved the rear sight down a bit, maybe a half inch, and the next shot was under the target completely.  I moved the rear sigh up between it's two previous positions, and the next shot was about four inches above the bullseye (which shouldn't have been).  I left the sight alone, and the next shot was in the bullseye.  I didn't touch the sights, and the shot after that was about two inches high and to the right.  The next two shots were somewhat near the bullseye, so I moved the target out to the 50 yard line.

Without touching the sights, my first shot at 50 yards was about four inches high.  I still didn't touch the sights at all, and the next shot went so low that it actually dug a furrow in the ground about four feet in front of the target stand.  Now I'm not only perplexed, I'm thinking I need to return the barrel to CVA (fortunately, I've got a TC Greyhawk for BP season in Vermont, but I bought the Wolf because I wanted an inline with a scope to complement the TC).

I was swabbing wet patch/dry patch between shots, so I decided to try two wet/one dry between shots.  This seemed to settle the gun down quite a bit, and I started grouping around four inches at 50 yards, but the pattern was still fairly erratic and I wasn't able to really dial it in.

I'm going to do two things next:  I'm going to put the scope back on, and I'm changing from Pyrodex pellets to Blackhorn powder.  Wish me luck.

Offline equinoxbuilders

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »
Rick,

Try the Triple 7 powder pellets. I find 80 grains to be the most accurate.
Try the PowerBelts.
Make sure the barrel and plug are clear and dry before loading.
I had no need to swab my barrel between shots until I got to the 5th shot.  The 5th shot was very difficult to load.
I was very happy with my groups at 50 yards.
But if you feel it is the barrel, I'm sure CVA will take care of it.
In the past, when my cousins trigger wasn't quite right on his Optima, it was a 4 day turnaround.  
He's been quite happy with CVA also.

A fine is for doing something bad.  A tax is for doing something good.  I have to stop being so good.   :grin:

Offline bubba

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 12:53:26 PM »
As I stated above, what you are shooting, the gun may just not shoot at all. I am thinking sending it back would be the last thing to do right now, and I am glad you aren't.  Think of it this way.  If you bought a remington 700 as an example in 270 and afer shooting one type of shells, would you return it?  Try some different loads and you will find one that works.  I love blackhorn in both my encore and H&R.

Molon Labe

Offline RickG55

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
I agree, Bubba, I guess I just wasn't expecting such a wild variation.  The only ML experience I've had before this was with my Greyhawk, and that was limited to sighting it in with patch and roundball (which it shoots very well).  I wouldn't have expected a gun simply not liking a load would result in shots two feet apart at 50 yards, since that hasn't been my experience with centerfire rifles at all. 

But next time I go to the range, it'll be with three different types of ammo and Blackhorn powder, controlling one variable at a time.  I'm thinking start with a set load of BP (maybe 90 grains), and shooting different types of ammo.  If I find the gun has a distinct preference for a type of ammo, I'll single that out and start playing with the BP load.

That's all I can think of for now.

Offline bubba

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »
don't hesitate to change your powder charge also.  I variance of 5 grains can make a big difference.  I shoot 80 grains fo 209 and it shoots a 250 grain bullet almos 1700 feet per second according to my chrono.  Loose powder is easier to change those vaariables. 

Molon Labe

Offline RickG55

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »
There is absolutely no 209 to be had anywhere near me, so I'm going to go with my Pyrodex RS and pick up some JSG as well.  I can order 209, but it's an additional $20 shipping fee--thanks, but I'll wait until I can get it in a store.

Offline RickG55

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Speaking of Pyrodex, the stuff I have is about 18-20 years old.  It's been kept in its original container with one of those snap-on pour spouts on it.  Will it still be potent, or should I buy fresh stuff?

Offline equinoxbuilders

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
I never use loose in an inline. Always have used Pellets.
I hate Pyrodex.  I only use 777.  
I also like 80 grains of BP in any of my .50 cals.
I like 90 FFFg loose in my Hawkens Renegade .54 round ball.
I've also never had any luck with TC sabots in any of my inlines.
Rick, if I were you, I'd look at getting 50 and 30 grain pellets, Winchester 209s, and a package of both CVA 245gr. PowerBelts and/or 250gr Barnes MZ Expander.  But we're talking more than $120 dollars worth of stuff + shipping.  I've tried lots of different bullets in my inlines. Not the Wolf yet.  This is why I would lead you to try the PowerBelts in the Wolf to see if it's the Wolf Barrel or the bullets being used. PowerBelts have been the most accurate and consistent by far over any other bullet.   And yes I would recommend new powder.  Also, the removable plug on the Wolf may not like loose powder.  That's why I'd opt for pellets.

Scott

Offline Dan71

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »
When I first started shooting my Optima I was using the 777 pellets and I was getting the same spread with all different bullets. A man with loads of black powder experience suggested I use powder... WOW what a difference! I was shooting a tight clover leaf @ 50 yards with 90gr's 777 powder and a 250gr Shock wave.

I never has any luck with the power belts.

Now I just bought a new wolf, Im going to be using the BlackHorn 209.
"It's Gods job to judge the terrorists...
It's our job to arrange the meeting".

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of all who Threaten it.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »
Way back when I bought a 58 and some Sabots.
I was loading 70 to 90 grains trying to work up a load with 300 grain 454 Bullets.
I too was using Pyrodex.  but loose powder.
No matter what I was doing the sabot was comming apart.
I was finding the sabot about 30 to 50 yards down range all mangled.
I expected to find them with either the peddels open or ripped off but not mangled like they were.
Went back to a Mini Ball and groups tighted right up.
You may want to try other sabots or other projectiles.
Good luck.