Author Topic: .38 Spcl 158 gr LSWCHP data  (Read 1495 times)

Offline singleVI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.38 Spcl 158 gr LSWCHP data
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:53:16 AM »
I know I could search all over the internet for this, but Id rather hear it from my trusty GBO members. Im trying to replicate the FBI load for my new 3" Model 60 trail gun. I live in KS so the critters range from squirrels to coyotes. Ive got a bunch of Rem UMC brass, and want to do something with it. Is it acceptable or will I have to buy new +P brass?

Offline shot1

Re: .38 Spcl 158 gr LSWCHP data
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »
Work up to it but a good +P load for 158 gr cast bullets in the 38 Special is 5.5 grs Unique. No you don't need special +P cases. The cases are the same thickness. Out of your 3" barrel you should get around 900 fps with this load. The soft swaged Hornady 158 SWC-HP makes a good bullet that will open up well.

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:48:43 PM »
Okay, Ive got that powder. What kind of Primers? How about COL? Those Hornady dont have a canalure, right? Sorry, Im a specifics kind of guy. Thanks.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 01:05:13 AM »
Funny thing about +P cases, or at least about +P+ cases used for law enforcement contract ammo. Some of them, Winchesters are made very heavy and others, Federals are very light. I expect that the theory behind the heavy brass is that it can withstand a lot of pressure, while the idea with light cases is that with increased capacity, the pressure will be lighter.

The difference is great enough that it probably effects performance. A load in one case may not perform as well if put in the other type.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 03:56:31 AM »
Those Hornady dont have a canalure, right?
No, you just crimp into the side of the bullet where ever you please. The sides are knurled and lubed. Allows for good versatility in cartridge length.
I've never shot any critters with them, but the hollow point seems kinda' small. I was looking at duplicating the FBI load myself, and the Magnus swaged SWCHP looks a little better.
http://magnusbullets.com/store/page11.html

Offline gray-wolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »
Must be some very big squirrels & coyotes. Eh.
specifically speaking those soft swagged lead bullets may ??  lead up your barrel at high speed.
  Do you do OK with the lead bullets now ? in respect to leading.
I would work them up slow--but then again you don't want to go slow.

Offline shot1

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »
Any soft swaged HP will do. I have used CCI and WW primers. The standard OAL of 1.455" should work for you. I don't think you will have to worry much about leading. It is not like you are going to be shooting 100 or so rounds at a time and you will be lucky if you get 900 fps from a 3" barrel.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »
specifically speaking those soft swagged lead bullets may ??  lead up your barrel at high speed.
Its .38 spl, not .357 magnum. Hornady bullets work great up to 1,000 fps.

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
The reason I want to use the LSWCHP is because Im skeptical about how well JHPs will expand out of a 3" 38spcl. Ive read all the articles, and that soft lead bullet always seems to do alright. (lights fuse, dives behind cover)

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »
There is also a difference between guns as far as how quick they lead. My S&Ws will shoot loads all day that lead up my Rugers in a few rounds.

Offline shot1

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 03:09:09 AM »
The JHP bullets like the Hornady XTP or the Speer Gold Dot are pretty reliable on expansion. I have tested them. The older JHP did not expand much if any at 38 Spl velocity. The lead SWCHP is a good way to go because if it does not expand you still get the effects of the flat nose and wad cutter shoulder cutting a caliber size hole. I load my wife's 2" 38 spl with some horded back +P 158 LSWCHP Federal Nyclad ammo. The old "FBI" load.