Author Topic: new part of the hobby......  (Read 593 times)

Offline oltom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
new part of the hobby......
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:38:04 AM »
I have been away from here for a while......building into a different direction~
http://www.hornguild.org/

there are alot of hobbies to blackpowder......the DID use horns for priming the cannons.....i may make one of those soon, it had a metal spout with a leaver to 'pour' the powder...track of the wolf sells one 'kit',,,,,,,,

still dreaming about a 12lb full size boys!

"MORE booze!"

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: new part of the hobby......
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »
I have a couple of horns I started some time back, need to finish them some day.  Interesting art form.  Post some pictures so we can make some priming horns for a our cannons.  How late were horns used for priming cannons?

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:46:16 AM »
One of the flasks I use to prime my guns is a small flattened horn. Had it for years, found it at a flea market.

Still looks good, but the wooden plug has shrunk and it's started leaking. Primimg powder can leak out of the tiniest gap.

I need to reseal it somehow. I'm thinking maybe I can wick something thin into the seam around the base plug. The gap is barely visible, but it's enough to leak FFFFg.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
Wonder if the super glue paste or what ever it is would work .  I know I had some Super glue that was for gap situations .
One of the tricks we used to do with regular super glue was to fill the gaps with baking soda , Add drop of super glue and it would bond in tight .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
How late were horns used for priming cannons?

In Royal artillery the small priming horns ceased to be carried by gunners approx circa 1810.
However for Garrison service large priming horns were still in use in the mid to late 1800s - used as a back up if required.
I believe that the Navy also had their priming horns, again not as the main source of ignition, also into the mid to late 1800s.
Adrian