Author Topic: 25-06 made venison  (Read 436 times)

Offline Ultra25-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Wish I was Hunting, getting closer. Spring bear.
25-06 made venison
« on: October 25, 2010, 05:04:14 AM »
I started leave on Saturday for the remainder of deer season and all of elk season. Spent Saturday taking care of some housework and spent time with the wife before I packed up my camping and hunting gear to head out Sunday morning. It was a miserable day to head up into the mountains to set up camp (tent and basic gear). Rain was coming from every direction... "Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night" Forest Gump. Any how I was thinking to my self the whole way up this is going to be the worst hunting trip Ive been on. Then ten minutes after turning off the paved road onto a old logging road the rain turned to snow at approximately 4700ft. My depressed attitude twords this trip instantly changed for I knew this first snow would start moving the deer. Needing to stretch my legs, I stopped along one of the old loading areas that the logging trucks would wait for the loads, it is located near a creek that I used to take my dog to play before she passed. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a large bodied deer just standing perfectly broadside to me not alarmed but just watching me and feeding. I did not see antlers so I went back to the jeep to get the binos as I was just going to watch "her" feed and have a snack myself. Thinking to myself "that is a large healthy looking doe" I raised my binos to my suprise it was a spike with a small fork on one side. I made the desicion that he would be the one, walked back to the jeep grabed the rifle and headed back to a point where I would have a clear shot. He was only maybe 125yds away I raised the rifle took a breath and sqeezed the trigger. The buck acted as if he had been hit by lightning jumping almost his body height into the air and it was over. No tracking requiered he had expiered before he hit the ground. I was as happy as could be even though this was the smallest buck I've ever harvested. I had meat to take home, did'nt have to set up camp in the snow and this all taking place in a spot that I used to spend time with my dog. The load was a 117 grain Hornady Interlock with a near max load of IMR4350 tweaked for accuracy in my rifle. Now I can spend the next week at home finishing painting the living room and getting ready for elk hunting.
What did you do today...for Freedom?
Today, at the front, he died...Today, what did you do? Next time you see a list of dead and wounded, ask yourself: "What have I done for freedom? What can I do tomorrow that will save the lives of men like this and help them win the war?"
Taken from WWII poster, still applies today.
USAF
Proud NRA member.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 25-06 made venison
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 05:53:45 AM »
Congrats, thanks for sharing.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:30:59 AM »
good shooting and enjoy the venison ;D you know, your dogs' spirit probably sent that deer to you ::) ;) God Bless to all.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »
Congrats! 8)  Good luck with the elk later too.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »
Congrats and thanks for sharing that great story
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga