Author Topic: Interesting breech loading salute cannon  (Read 1548 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Interesting breech loading salute cannon
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:42:16 AM »
I found this video of an 1.5" salute cannon.  Check out the breech mechanism.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Czy_ml0Ss&feature=related

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Interesting breech loading salute cannon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
That is a neat video, Dom. Not a whole lot of recoil with the full power loads. Cool looking breech. If it were mine I'd probably try to find a projo to shoot out of it.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »
i like the part where the guy takes a phone call right in the middle of the video.  The Cannon in neat also.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »
Dom,

I'm sure that is the "Fort Mifflin" cannon that was on ebay in Oct. 2009. If it is he got a killer deal on it. I seem to remember it was listed somewhere around $2700.00 and the listing stated it had no breech with it. Unfortanetly it was too far away to work fast enough when I saw it. I tried to let cannonmn know about it but, I guess things didn't work out. It was removed by the seller the next day. So, I guess Robert made a deal

P.S.-I still have the listing images from the auction on my hard drive. So, I'm sure it's the same one as it has the same dent just below the muzzle.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:37 AM »
Thanks Dom; I'd seen this one before, and the gun sure is a beauty. I don't know if the "cannoncollector" is right when he opines that the group that originally ordered the cannon probably couldn't afford a "Strong" salute gun, but if he's correct then I don't mind saying that I certainly wouldn't mind having second best. There is one thing that's for sure, and I think Intoodeep will agree with me on this: If we ever see this piece up for sale/auction again, you can rest assured that there will another zero placed in front of the decimal point of this ammount $2700.00, and in all likelyhood the first digit will also be increased.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
Someone sent me a PM asking if I really thought that this salute gun is worth $37,000.00, and the answer is a resounding NO I don't (I was only joking). My post was meant to be funny, and it was intended for a few members that would get it, but I didn't stop to take into account that others might take that ammount seriously (sorry for that).
The gent that made this YT vid is a collector (as his name implies ;)), and he sometimes puts some of his collection up for sale on certain internet auction sites with attached prices which in my amateur opinion are a little too far towards the deep end of the pool.
If the "cannoncollector" really did get this gun for around three grand then I'd say he made an excellent buy, but nowhere near as excellent as if the gun were actually worth 37K.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 04:02:16 AM »
BoomJ,

I don't think you need to apologize for your estimate.  I agree with your previous post.  Even thought it's not a price I would pay (or, could afford) either.  :o

Do you remember the post I did awhile back called the "Holy Grail" ? It was about a 1 gauge Strong on a field carriage with limber. The 1 gauge is a little bigger but, that item was listed for sale at 50K.

As, for the GAR cannon in this thread. I believe it was loaned to the Gettysburg museum and put on display. So, if anyone lives nearby or, takes a visit to Gettysburg they can pop in a take a look at it. 
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:47:39 AM »
Was this a muzzle loader that has been modified to breech loading?  Or was it designed as a breech loader?  If it is a modification, what was the original?  It puts me in mind of a Wiard.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 07:35:08 AM »
Subdjoe,
This cannon was manufactured as a breech loader, and it was never intended that it fire projectiles, it was meant to be a signal/salute gun that fired blank cartidges loaded with black powder.