Author Topic: American Pioneer BP, Opinions?  (Read 787 times)

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
American Pioneer BP, Opinions?
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:54:33 AM »
So I thought I'd be able to buy Goex BP locally, but it's all sold out. The only BP available for my TC New Englander Sidelock is American Pioneer ffg or fffg. Any opinions on that brand?

- perklo

Offline Landngroove

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Re: American Pioneer BP, Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »
After trying most of the substitute powders over the years, I prefer Goex. Having said that, at one time I did use APP. I found that fresh out of the can it was just O.K., but slightly harder to ignite than real black (sometimes a hang fire), and somewhat less powerful. After being exposed to air over time it's velocity (power), and accuracy, seemed to diminish. I would not leave a load in overnight when hunting, start with a fresh load daily, because of this. Also, after exposure to the air it will clump up in the can over time.  I buy Goex from The Maine Powder House in 10 LB. lots, and have it delivered UPS, that way I will not run out. I think I would consider Pyrodex, or 777, if I could not get Goex. I would not recommend APP, especially for what it costs.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
I have and tested some Jim Shockey's Gold (AP product) with my guns some, but was a little disenchanted by the granulation consistency.  I had chunks so big in their FFFg powder, it wouldn't even flow through my powder horn valve at all.  I didn't have horrible accuracy, but just wasn't really impressed overall.  When I contacted the company, they stated that they knew about the granulation size and they were sorry, but there was nothing they'd do about it.  I have been using 777 now even though I hate the crud ring, but have a couple of jars of Pyrodex PS FFFg that was very accurate.  My wife hates it when I shoot it though, because of the rotten egg smell.  I get a tongue lashing every time, so I'm living with the crud ring for now.  8(
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
I loaded some APP in .44 Colt cartridges. It seemed to work OK but I pulled bullets from a couple of rounds which had been loaded for about one year and the powder was just a solid lump, I had to dig it out of the case with a small screw driver. Of all the subs I'd rate Pyrodex as the best and APP as perhaps the worst, though I have never tried some of the latest subs to hit the market.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:02:21 AM »
Well a couple guy's have said it now,,the stuff is Hygroscopic,,bad!
It'll pick up moisture from the air and get lumpy fast,,then it looses power,,
AP/"Clean shot" is about the worst I've ever tried..
found elsewhere

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:41:27 AM »
in my 45-70 the cases started corroding before i even got off a three shot group and even after cleaning/tumbling they turned green again in a short time. shooting was nothing to write home about either. for what it's worth, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline USCSURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
This is my first post.  I have been a lurker, but decided to join up.  I shoot APP (Shokey's Gold).  I live in South Carolina where it is very humid.  I don't a problem.  I save all of the little desicant packages that come in electronics, etc. and put them in my powder after I open it.  I never leave the container open.  It is VERY easy to clean up.  I pre-measure my hunting loads and put them in viles w/ screw on tops.  A fellow hunter at work also uses it and has no problems.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
Well, Welcome to GBO's,, :D
Be sure to cruise around all the other forums too, don't be bashfull an chime in from time-ta-time

(even if ya do like AP powders, :-\;D
found elsewhere