Author Topic: What do I need in a range finder?  (Read 388 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
What do I need in a range finder?
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »
I hunt deer over large fields in NC.  I am now 64 and can't seem to pull off 400-500 yard shots any more.  About 250 is my limit now days.  Must be the eyes.

Last weekend I hunted a field that I assumed offered a 150 yard shot.  I walked it off later at 270.  What an error I made.  Seems a range finder is in order.

What should I look for?  A max range of 600 yards seems sufficient for my needs.  I understand the value of quality optics when it comes to binocs and scopes, but I don't know if a less expensive lasar is inferior to a more expensive lasar.  Seems the physics are the same, but I have no experience.

What do you recommend?  Are there good used models on eBay or our GB classifieds?

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What do I need in a range finder?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
I might be a little loose here, but I believe many rangefinders distance is based on reflection value.  My Nikon 800 (800 yards)  is good for about 400 yards which just about matches my long range ability. 

I am tired of carrying to many items in the field and if pushed I would leave my rangefinder behind instead of my binoculars.  The 6X glass in my rangefinder does not come close to replacing my 10X Leupold binoculars deer hunting.  I spend a lot of time glassing.

Recently this item has captured my attention; it resolves the need for binoculars and a rangefinder.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/fusion/
FUSION® 1600 ARC
Binocular/Rangefinder

Binocular Features
•   BaK-4 prisms with PC-3® phase corrective coating for superior resolution and clarity
•   RainGuard® HD water repellent lens coating
•   100% waterproof
•   VDTTM (Vivid Display Technology) - enhances display readout in all lighting conditions
•   Carrying case, battery and neck strap included
Rangefinder Features
•   10-1600 yards ranging performance
•   ARC (Angle Range Compensation) from -90° to +90°
•   Bow Mode - provides line-of-sight, angle, and true horizontal distance from 10-99 yards/meters
•   Rifle Mode - provides line-of-sight, angle, and bullet drop/holdover up to 199 inches
•   VSI (Variable Sight-In) - allows sight-in distance options of 100, 150, 200, or 300 yards sight-in distance when in RIFLE mode
•   Selective Targeting System - Automatic SCAN, BullsEye & Brush modes
•   +/- one yard accuracy

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 02:29:01 AM »
i agree with siskiyou. But one with about twice the range you think you need as my 600 bushnell has problems out past 400 yards. Id look at one with at least a 1200 yard rated range.
blue lives matter

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 10:28:39 AM »
I`ve had afew different range finders and none have done what I want. None will range a deer farther than 1/2 the distance they claim, so you need to find something close that will range. I have the Lica 1200 at present and it is the best I`ve ever owned, it is also the most expencive.