Author Topic: Newbie slug hunter question  (Read 470 times)

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Newbie slug hunter question
« on: November 04, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »
I've never hunted deer in a shotgun-only zone before. I'm trying to decide if I should use a rifled slug or a sabot load. I have a fully rifled 12 ga. slug barrel with open sights on my 870, and the expected range will be well under 50 yards, probably 25 or so.
In the early season, my brother shot a blacktail doe with a Brenneke rifled slug. The blood trail was huge and unmistakable, a good thing here in the jungle of western WA. I have shot targets with rifled slugs and sabots. Both seem accurate enough, but the sabots only leave a 50 caliber hole in the target, unlike the rifled slugs, which make much bigger holes.
In sabots, I have some Remington all copper hollowpoints, and some Federal Power Shok hollowpoints. In the rifled slugs, I have used the W-W 1 oz, 1500 fps model.

Which should I use,  and why ?

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: Newbie slug hunter question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
I probably shouldn't even reply cause I don't shotgun hunt deer, but when I go squirrel hunting during deer season I keep a Winchester rifled slug in the barrel when moving to and from the area where I am squirrel hunting in case I get a chance at a deer.

I shoot sabots out of my ML because that is what I have and don't have time to find a full bore load before season. If I had a rifled barrel on a shotgun I would shoot whatever was the most accurate.

Either will kill a deer just fine.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:38:48 PM »
Thanks, Daman ! Of course you should reply with your own 2 cents worth. Besides, yours is the ONLY reply I've gotten so far.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:55:18 AM »
 For accuracy the sabot would probably a better choice. If you know your shots will be under 50 yards, and you get decent accuracy out of the rifled slugs You would save money for more slugs for more deer ;)

Myself I shoot a smooth barreled Mossberg. I keep Brenneke's on hand, and buy them whenever I find them. Yes I am cheap.  :)

Lonny