Author Topic: 51/61 Navy Barrels  (Read 1074 times)

Offline fistmil

• Trade Count: (0)
51/61 Navy Barrels
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:40:12 PM »
Are the barrels of the Uberti 51 Navy interchangeable with a Uberti 61 Navy? I have a 51 Navy and was thinking of getting a 61 barrel for it.

Offline Flint

Re: 51/61 Navy Barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:45:24 AM »
Yes, the barrel is essentiallly the only difference, at least in an Italian repro, the original Colt used different gripframe materials in some models, and some details (like the capping groove), depending upon the Model (Year it was made).  The '51 was made from 1850/51 until 1873.

However, the barrel, unless you are lucky, is not a drop-in.  Any new barrel, even the 51 will often require some fitting at the arbor hole, which might sometimes be too tight.  The new barrel should get its own dedicated wedge, which might need fitting.  The cylinder gap might be tight and need adjustment.  Nothing ourtrageous.

I have fitted a 51 barrel of a different make (marked Colt, probably 3rd gen.) to a 61 Uberti to cut it down to a 5 inch barrel, not wanting to cut down the original 61 barrel.

Check the photo, one is a 51 and one is a 61, both converted with a  Kirst (ungated at the time of the photo):

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/rcflint/pair.jpg

I suggest fitting a spacer at the end of the arbor to correctly fit the arbor length to the barrel.  Don't permanently attach it if you interchange barrels.  See Pettifoggers articles on tuning open-top Colt types.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:52:59 AM »
What Flint said +1

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »
Flint, those are some good looking pistols!