Author Topic: Ruger #1 ????????  (Read 907 times)

Offline mrcooper

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Ruger #1 ????????
« on: November 20, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »
I see where a lot of us folks have had acc problems, My first one was a 22-250 and it would not grope under 2" at 100 yards, I did not know about the forearm stuff, my next one was a 45-70 drilled and taped the yoke and I have put 4 holes in side a 1" square @ 100 yards, broke 2 tapes before I got it threaded, my next one was 375H&H bought the Hicks thing and it shoots great, then a 416 rem Mag did the Hicks thing again and it does great. talked to the man that owns the Hicks and we did not get along so no more hicks fer me, I just bought a used 7x57 and some one before me put some glass bedding on the contact point of the fore arm screw and it is very acc. I know that ruger knows about the problems that we are having, WHY DONT THEY DO SOMETHING?? they are addictive as you can see I need help to restrain me from buying any more please help

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
Re: Ruger #1 ????????
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »
I'm guessing Ruger feels that enough guns are good out of the box its better to let the owner fix the bad ones or send it back to them than to put extra money into the gun that already shoot good.Penny pinching to the fullest

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ruger #1 ????????
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
I owned #1s for years before I ever floated and bedded a #1 forend.  No problem.

Probably wouldnot have done it then, except I feel that for a hunting firearm, I want consistance which come from little to no barrel to wood contact.

Now, because of the seeming sucess I have had with bedding and floating #1 forend, it is my standard operating proceedure, just like I float and bed almost all my bolt actions.

The only exception at this point is my Clark Custom RUGER 77/22 which shoots so very well, I have never removed the barrled action from the stock.

However, not only does it shoot very well but it is not a rifle I need to rely on in a game hunting situation.

If that were the case, the story might be different.

That being said, I have yet to have one of the issues others write about with their #1.  If it didn't shoot well, load development always solved that problem

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag