Author Topic: Shooter Or woofer Coehorn  (Read 724 times)

Offline Powder Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
Shooter Or woofer Coehorn
« on: November 26, 2010, 01:32:53 PM »
Hi, This just came in today and I'm in need of your knowledge, basic facts:
Carriage measures 15 inches long by 5.25 inches wide and from the level bottom to the top of the barrel measures 9.5 inches, outside measurement on the barrel is about 4.25" and the bore is 2.25". Barrel is about 8.25" long and the trunnions are about 1.25", weight 42 pounds. There doesn't seem to be a makers name or mark.
Barrel is cast and after reading all the posts on the forum my first question is if it is lined?  Using some very strong magnets in tandum there seems to be more pull
to the flat rim at the bore than elsewhere on the barrel. similar to the carriages draw. Looking into the very dirty bore there seems to be a seam edge near the bottom of the bore.  Any ideas on who made it?  Would you say it is similar to seacoast type? Is it safe to shoot, give sane loads?  Thank you, Steve

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Shooter Or woofer Coehorn
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:40:36 PM »
Looks to be  Modern casting  trying  to replicate a Coehorn on a fantasy carriage.

Safe to shoot?  Who knows without knowing  more about its construction.

What do you mean by seam at bottom edge of bore.  Are you talking about a seam that runs the lengh of the bore.  Or is it an annular  seam from perhaps a chamber i sert.

It needs serious cleaning and close inspection before it can be determined if it's safe to shoot. 

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
It looks like a South Bend Replica's mortar.  I have a 2004 catalog and it's on page 13. 

Offline Powder Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »
Hi, Yes, It is in need of a lot of cleaning. The ring/ridge is annular deep inside the chamber where the taper to powder area begins. Clicking on
the photo magnifies it a bit. I've added a couple of small photos One is of another exactly like mine that sold recently.
I think mine is probably 1/2 scale 2.25" bore. One is an  original old coastal mortar that looks similar to these models.
Included are two shots that look like,if this is an insert, it may have been welded in. looking center and to the right may
be a small bead a thorough cleaning will indeed help

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
I agree with Dom it's an SBR/Barneys. When I saw the photo it was the first thing that I thought. I have one of those barrels but no sled. I had to build a base.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Powder Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 03:28:16 PM »
Hi Dominick,  I didn't see your post until now. I don't have any current South Bend info, the last Catalogue i had was in the 70s.
Couldn't afford one their models. So, what do do they have to say about it?  Is it a shooter when properly cleaned and inspected?
Thanks for the information, Steve

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »
It looks like a South Bend Replica's mortar.  I have a 2004 catalog and it's on page 13. 

Same page in my 2002-2003 SBR catalog.  Price from 2000 price sheet for this mortar was $421.

If it's a SBR it's a good one!